Diffusing directly into the filter inlet

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by Rob Steer, 26 Apr 2009.

1. Rob Steer

Rob Steer Member

All at UKAPS,

I have read many posts relating to placement of a Co2 diffuser directly underneath the filter inlet. I'm about to invest in an Eheim 2075 and am concerned that if I use this method I might wreck it!

Has anyone ever had any issues with their filters using this method in diffusion?

Rob

2. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

I diffused CO2 in to an AquaEl 250 without any problems, but some filters are known to accumulate a CO2 bubble inside.

Dave.

3. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

I use an Aqua Medic 1000 inline diffuser and it is in the middle of the water return pipe from an Eheim 2080 - water leaves the filter unit into the reactor which has siporax, gas enters the top of the reactor goes down a internal tube within the reactor, the bubbles are broken up - out through the pipe at the top and back into the tank via a spray bar.

Regards
    Paul.

4. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

I would say give it a go. You have nothing to lose... if you do get a gas bubble build up then stop and try a different method. I can not see it doing any harm short term.

I think it is good to experiment with different methods. IME external inline reactors are the most effficient method for CO2 addition. I prefer without media in the reactor, so as to minimise flow loss. There are many ways to skin a cat though ;)

5. TLH

TLH Member

I sent bubbles straight into my 2128 for a while but got a build up after a while. I have added a ceramic diffuser now which sit immediately underneath the intake and it seems to be working fine now.