• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Directional nozzle thing

RudeDogg1

Hi guys,
I’ve seen several people use like a sectional adjustable direction nozzle thing one their filter outlets. What are they called and where do you get them?
Cheers
Rudi

Hi guys,
I’ve seen several people use like a sectional adjustable direction nozzle thing one their filter outlets. What are they called and where do you get them?
Cheers
Rudi

Not following you around threads honest! lol

If you are referring to the fittings I'm thinking of, they are called a Loc Line fittings - the only reason I know, and replied, is I just ordered some parts for one on Friday via eBay with one of the random flow generator heads.

There are loads on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Loc-Line-in-Aquariums/20755/bn_7022751120

You can also get them from retailers, but mainly on the marine side.

Ah yes that’s them do you know if u can make them shorter or are they fixed length wise? I’ve ordered a aquanano the outlet just seems to blow straight out towards the front glass so want to change it up abit

Ah yes that’s them do you know if u can make them shorter or are they fixed length wise? I’ve ordered a aquanano the outlet just seems to blow straight out towards the front glass so want to change it up abit

Yeah, that's one of the main features of them - you can generally add or take away sections as you need to.

I bought the 3D printed bits from this seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Random-Flow-Generator-RFG-Reef-Safe-Loc-Line-Return-Nozzle-Multiple-size/153731132755?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=453749653817&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

You can buy the appropriate sized adapter here, to fit onto your chosen outlet pipework:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Straight-pipe-to-1-2-Inch-Loc-line-Adapter-Various-Sizes/154023196066?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=454131792286&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

It's the first time I've bought these though, and I haven't got my order in hand yet, so can't comment on the quality of the product - that said, there are a number of different people and brands selling them.

I just ordered some parts for one on Friday via eBay with one of the random flow generator heads.
You mean the exact thing I just gave away with the aquarium I sold? :banghead: (it was even the original VCA one)
Can't remember how big your new aquarium is and unsure of the return pump power but I found the RFG blew gravel everywhere so had to ditch it. I'd have an experiment with the depth below the water you use it also if you can before you drill, there is a minimum amount they suggest before it starts sucking air in from the surface through the venturi/eductor action and a parameters for the flow rate to fall within for it to work properly.
I'm unsure whether these work to the exact same tolerances as the VCA ones, I believe someone 3D scanned the original, made a few minor adjustments and now people just print them from a free download you can/could get.

@RudeDogg1 depending on the size and style you're after I might have one going with the rear hose assembly, I'm unsure on the size of the outlet holes etc on the aquarium.
It's a 1/2" assembly like used in the Fluval Flex aquariums.

Do beware that the thread of LocLine fittings are mainly NPT threads. the 1/2" will fit into a UK BSP thread but if you go to 3/4" then you must have both male and female the correct size and type (both NPT).

You mean the exact thing I just gave away with the aquarium I sold? :banghead: (it was even the original VCA one)
Can't remember how big your new aquarium is and unsure of the return pump power but I found the RFG blew gravel everywhere so had to ditch it. I'd have an experiment with the depth below the water you use it also if you can before you drill, there is a minimum amount they suggest before it starts sucking air in from the surface through the venturi/eductor action and a parameters for the flow rate to fall within for it to work properly.
I'm unsure whether these work to the exact same tolerances as the VCA ones, I believe someone 3D scanned the original, made a few minor adjustments and now people just print them from a free download you can/could get.

The tank will be a 90l, but if the RFG doesn’t work out I will just swap it for a duckbill style or mod my own to get the flow pattern I need. I suspect on the end of my Oase 600, it won’t be the case of being too powerful, more likely the flow might be too low for the random pattern to be generated, but we’ll see. If it works as I hope, it should be great for creating more randomised flow and distribution around the aquarium.

I’m just sick of glass lily pipes, they’re a PITA to use and to look after, and so inflexible.

I know we spoke about stainless types, but the Loc Line style will give me the ultimate flexibility - especially given I intend to have all the pipe work hidden in tank anyway.

@RudeDogg1 depending on the size and style you're after I might have one going with the rear hose assembly, I'm unsure on the size of the outlet holes etc on the aquarium.
It's a 1/2" assembly like used in the Fluval Flex aquariums.

Do beware that the thread of LocLine fittings are mainly NPT threads. the 1/2" will fit into a UK BSP thread but if you go to 3/4" then you must have both male and female the correct size and type (both NPT).

The ones I linked to are mainly push fit, not threaded, and on the modular 3D printed adapter I linked, you can simply select the I/D you require to fit over your outlet pipe - in my case I’ll use the JBL 16/22 outlet.

I’m just sick of glass lily pipes, they’re a PITA to use and to look after, and so inflexible
And the direction I'm currently heading back in :facepalm: why, I'll never know.
the Loc Line style will give me the ultimate flexibility - especially given I intend to have all the pipe work hidden in tank anyway
I agree, unfortunately things just didn't work out for me.

It's the first time I've bought these though, and I haven't got my order in hand yet, so can't comment on the quality of the product - that said, there are a number of different people and brands selling them.
Afternoon,
just been reading through this thread and I didn’t even know these existed, they look great.
I hate my FX4 outlet, there’s not enough movement on it IMO and this seems like a good solution.
Have you received your order yet? I’m quite intrigued to see it set up.
Cheers, James

Afternoon,
just been reading through this thread and I didn’t even know these existed, they look great.
I hate my FX4 outlet, there’s not enough movement on it IMO and this seems like a good solution.
Have you received your order yet? I’m quite intrigued to see it set up.
Cheers, James

Well, the Loc-Line style fittings are great, they give superb adjustability which allows me to really fine tune the exact direction and orientation of the flow around the tank.

The RFG though is a disappointment. It doesn’t randomise the flow at all, the flow just comes out of the funnel part all in the same direction.

It may be because the flow isn’t high enough to get the random flow going - as I understand it the design requires a certain pressure out the outlet to work.

I do intend to go back to the seller about it though, as I was assured that 500lph would be sufficient for the random flow which the Oase Biomaster 850 I’m using should be producing.

The RFG though is a disappointment. It doesn’t randomise the flow at all, the flow just comes out of the funnel part all in the same direction.

It may be because the flow isn’t high enough to get the random flow going - as I understand it the design requires a certain pressure out the outlet to work.
Did you get the 'original' VCA one in the end?
I think they rely on flow being just right and just the correct amount under the surface also.
Possibly worth looking up ultimatereef.net for better info.
(sorry @Wookii I just read you didn't get the VCA version, I'd forgotten what you said and didn't see it until just now)

I found it randomised flow but just with too much force behind it, I was using a Jecod DCP-2500 return pump though

Last edited:
Well, the Loc-Line style fittings are great, they give superb adjustability which allows me to really fine tune the exact direction and orientation of the flow around the tank.
That's exactly what interested me in the first place. I'm not happy with the flow so this may be just what i need!
Is it all push fit? Be great to see a pic of it installed too if possible

Cheers

Did you get the 'original' VCA one in the end?
I think they rely on flow being just right and just the correct amount under the surface also.
Possibly worth looking up ultimatereef.net for better info.
(sorry @Wookii I just read you didn't get the VCA version, I'd forgotten what you said and didn't see it until just now)

I found it randomised flow but just with too much force behind it, I was using a Jecod DCP-2500 return pump though

No, I just got the one off eBay that I linked to above,

You we’re pushing a lot more water through it with that 2500lph pumps I guess, my Oase 850 is is only 1550lph (and that would be an empty canister with zero head height).

That's exactly what interested me in the first place. I'm not happy with the flow so this may be just what i need!

Cheers
There's a whole array of different bits and pieces you can get but a lot depends on whether your tank is drilled or not.
Once you have the main fitting in place then it's a case that pieces do clip together BUT some can be very tight to get in and out, they do sell a tool to help assemble the pieces, although I've never needed to use one.
Just search for Loc Line, only certain parts are available in black though.

Cheers

Yeah, they are all push fit by design. If you’re not interest in the RFG there are lots of option for that style of outlet on eBay with standard duckbills on.

This is mine in tank:

7275C3A6-F922-4C99-99CE-B6512FD077F3.jpeg

Back