• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus Dan's complete DIY set up.

Hi,
9W led bulb's can eat a lot!
I would dismantle the bulb and put some new termal paste.
I would bet in 3W and 4W led bulb's (6500ºK) with good lens on it.

I use 2 cheap bulb's like these:
http://www.miniinthebox.com/pt/gu10...tual-220v_p831302.html?utm_campaign=cartcross
And they are very powerful and very decent depth penetration! [check CovaMoura]
You can safely put your hand in any bulb at the end of day! (this is one of my criteria for choosing bulbs)

I also (very cheap 3W) have 2 like this:
http://www.miniinthebox.com/pt/gu10...-led-light-bulb-pontual-220-240v_p723099.html
But they don't have lens. Even without the difuser the light power is miserable! (I can measure in lux's if you want, sorry but no PAR meter!)

The colour led's can be inside water? did you try with the light fixture?

One more opinion, (sorry!) i used also the metallic fixtures for the bulbs but they were a little bit disturbing (for watching and photos).
Maybe more 5 -10 cm of black wood...
I have redone my light system a few times an still have some issues to deal! (but this is also the funny part of the hobby)

Thanks for sharing your project,;)
cheers
tiago

cheers for the replies chaps.

I'm still undecided on which LED's to go for, I might just bite the bullet and get some quality ones but I'm not sure on the best place to buy them from is?
All the GU10 led's on ebay seem to be fake Chinese rubbish.

Hi,
your work is amazing! You're really talented for DIY.:thumbup:
Light can be tricky and take some time to understand your specific tank/system.:bookworm:
I believe most Led's are made in China or Asia. They should be equal quality for model/power.
The assembling quality control is a different game!
Your 9W Led should be equal to a good Brand. But the thermal paste and assembling quality/materials and cheaper and with less control.
Before take to the garbage can open the bulbs and glue them properly to a nice aluminum.
Now to steps down, tomorrow your tank will run!:)
cheers

I had a couple of 140mm computer fans laying about so thought i'd give them a go.
2 was probably a bit over kill, 1 would have been enough I think but oh well more cooling the better :)

PcqwnHM.jpg

Space inside the unit was to tight to fit the fans inside so I had to raise them above the box slightly.

RWHqNEY.jpg

The fans come on when the lights come on, seem to be working so far.

rEO0IRO.jpg

I'll have to wait and see how they go but so far so good, no led's have shut off yet. fingers crossed.

Pulled the camera out tonight to take some photos of the fish.

While the cool white LED's make the tank look really crisp and bring out the greens in the plants it totally washes out the colour of the fish, I might try a couple of warm white LED's to see how it changes things.

y6ymtbO.jpg

ZRHMkRR.jpg

zRiMzhB.jpg

26AaB49.jpg

q0oE0lK.jpg

Oh and the fans seem to be doing a great job,not had an LED fail since installing them.

Back