• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus in a proposed co2 set up

mlgt

Im planning to set a co2 system for my juwel 180l tank.

It currently houses 6 young discus, about 30 cardinals, 10 corys and some amanos. Temp is set at 28 degrees
I have the internal Juwerl filter as well as a Eheim 2217 filters so filtration is ok(could do with more I know)
Lights I have the standard T8's that came with the tank and I know for sure I will need to up these with additional T5's at a later date. Ive been keeping tropical fish for 2 years and coldwater for over 15 years, but have alot of friends who are heavily involved in tropical fishkeeping and breeding so was always pointed in the right direction but still got to learn everything the hard way :)

I do a daily water change of around 25-50l a day and dosing tpn+ and various dry ferts to experiment in additional plant growth. The water change is beneficial for the discus to encourage growth and remove waste in the water from beefheart feeding.

Ive thought alot about the pros and cons about going co2 setup and decided to take the plunge.

What I wanted to ask is how many people have discus fish and run a co2 set up? I know I have heard horror stories of things failing and killing their fish etc, but with this forum and friends I hope I can bypass this.

Can you let me know how it has affected when (I assume) ou went from low tech to co2 set up. Im not too worried about the initial cash set up as I have put aside money for a FE set up and additional lighting.

I understand that there is a need for daily dosing of fertilisers which LondonDragon has agreed to help me understand this and sort out an ideal dosing regime.

Besides getting the right light balance, co2 and ferts is it worth it in the long run? lol.

Looking for any answers, comments etc.

Hello mlgt!

there are some mates ( and me too) who have discus and use co2.
There are our journals:

steve3200: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=571

tonser: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=571

and me: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8036
(sorry,if i missed somone)

as you know, discus is more sensitve like other fish, and it is true for the co2 too.But if you use co2 carrefully, and observ your fish reaction there wont be any matter,but you and your discus' lives change a huge.
If you use co2 your plants will be healthy , your tank will be more attractive and you and your fish will be happier. :D
the discus tolarete 20-30 ppm co2 and this is enoguh for the plants too .
if you want to increase your lights you need higher co2 (30ppm),if you increase the co2 always observ your fish reaction, if they are darker or hide too much ( so if they stressed) then the co2 is more than they can tolerate.

Another thing.

you wrote that you change water every day,if you use co2 you need this routine do before the lights on, otherwise algae will appear in the tank.

i just mention you that use co2, if you want an amazing planted discus tank!

Good luck!
zigur

Here's the client's tank with 45ppm CO2 with a calibrated method for measurement:

resized8222208.jpg

45ppm is the upper range I'd say.
30ppm is a good target.

Problem is folks are bad at testing, worst at being impatient and gas their fish in their haste.
That's the horror, not the CO2.

At night you stop adding CO2, there's no reason to ever add CO2 at night, it's bad for the fish then, since the plants are not taking up the CO2, nor giving off excess O2.

So it adds even more then.........and with less O2.

Respiration is the real issue with CO2 and fish, this means both CO2 and O2 concentrations in the environment, not just O2 or just CO2. It's both.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Thanks Tom.

Will take into consideration the ppm values you have suggested.

I guess its all to do with patience and taking note on the fishes breathing :)

Cant wait to get the co2 system set up now :)

I wanted to ask is the use of peat to lower the ph level affect the co2 in anyway?

Ive just bought a new JBL filter and was going to put a peat bag in the new filter before I sort out the co2 set up.

R

Back