• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus

Simon25

I was thinking of getting some discus for my 180ltr tank, do they need certain types of plants or no plants? All the tanks I see are empty apart from wood. I know it’s to show off the fish but I would like a planted tank as well as discus

180 liter sounds a bit small for discus to be fair. They are best kept in tanks over 100cm and 50cm high, and even that is only for a breeding couple, I wouldn't recommend it for permanent housing.
As for plants, they are fine in a planted tank too, just select plants that like it warm like the discus. Discus are messy fish, which is a main reason many keepers keep them in relatively empty tanks, easy to clean. But ive seen planted tanks with discus too. Some darker/shaded with swords and vallisneria etc but also tanks with more light, co2 and almost dutch style. There are some discus keepers on this forum too, hopefully they can chime in with details:)

I was thinking of getting some discus for my 180ltr tank, do they need certain types of plants or no plants? All the tanks I see are empty apart from wood. I know it’s to show off the fish but I would like a planted tank as well as discus
There are no limitations regarding the type of plants that can be used in a discus tank. The rules for keeping discus healthy coincide with the rules for keeping plants healthy. That means large and frequent water changes. What may be problematic is that you'll need careful attention to CO2 management if this is a CO2 injected tank. If so then you would do well to get the plants and CO2 sorted prior to adding the fish. To help significantly reduce the required level of CO2 it's suggested to keep the lighting low to medium.

Cheers,

Back