• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

discus

tyke_uk

hiya don't often post but i get all my info by reading the excellent info posted on the forum.just a quickie. my tank at the moment seems to be running ok (must get some photos on).i have a trigon 190 planted aquarium the tank contains 12 copper harlequins 10 cardinal tetra 3 ottos 4 corys im thinking of getting a couple of small discus but im little worried about the 50% weekly water changes will this put the discs under any stress or will they be able to handle this. all my water parameters are ok using ei method ph 6.8 nitrates 0 thanks for any replies.

they probably aren't zero as im adding 1/2 tspoon of kn03 every other day the test kick says zero but we all know about test kits i very rarely test but did yesterday it may be months until i do it again.

From what Ive heard about discus, they require very regular WCs. Some people change 50% a day !!

You'll be ok IMO. They love a water change so don't let that put you off.

I use EI dosing in my discus tank with full co2 and 50% water changes every week- no problems. I'll do an extra 50% water change midweek on occasions just to keep on top of things.

I wouldn't worry about having to change 50% daily but I would expect to change 30% maybe 3 times a week, I kept discus for around 4 years and never had any issues with this water changing regime, I also used HMA filtered water as my tap water is very good but wanted to remove any nasties !
Also one big point to remember, small discus turn into big discus, and once you bought one or two you qucikly want more because they're fantastic fish to keep, but remember in small numbers they will tend to bully each other. Also watch your stocking levels with dicsus, 190 litres can hold a few but not a lot.

tyke_uk said:
im thinking maybe getting small pair will that be ok.
I wouldn't stock just two unless you know they are a proven pair and even that can become pretty harrowing for the female. Discus are aggressive at the end of the day and like to be dominant so if you have just two, one can make the other's life a misery. The reason for stocking a group is to minimize aggression towards any one individual and spread the load so to speak.

If you want to buy some awesome Discus, go to discus bananas, davids fish are the best i've ever seen and he has literally thousands in his fish house.

Hi ,
My last 2 fish were from discusbananas and they are stunning fish.
I have 6 Discus in an Osaka 260 and have 2 pairs out of the 6.
They have not been too bad with each other aggression wise until the other day, when one of the pairs decided to move in to the same area as the other pair (who have eggs at the moment) and this pair who have moved in are preparing to spawn on the same piece of bogwood about 12 inches apart and things are getting a bit heated.
You might just get away with a proven pair in your tank, and they are fantastic fish to keep, but addictive and you may want more than 2, especially when you see the amount of stunning fish you have to pick from.
Good Luck,
Billy

Back