• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY 75 x 42 x 40 cm

Some quick update, the pictures been taken with no triopod, that was just for my record, so they are not very good. But I thought I might post them aswell.

02-06-08001.jpg

02-06-08003.jpg

02-06-08002.jpg

Thanks LondonDragon and Redsteveo.

The outflow is an Aquili and is great. The inflow is from Ebay and is not very good quality, the glass is very thin, and it broke once, aswell as the outflow who came with it. I've got the inflow from Aquili, but I would not recommend it, the fish get suck in and believe me it was quiet gory. I lost neons and striata loach, wish is the bummer because they are hard to come by here and they are good for snail control. So I only used it 24h, a nice way to throw money thru the window.
Sadly, I have to change house at the end of the month so this aquascape will never be finish...

One comment on the hair grass: mow the lawn:)
Like to 2 cm tall. It grows back and is easier to maintain over time this way.

Glass you took out that other weed, Gloss.
Folks seem to enjoy that weed till they keep it for awhile.

It will just grow way too fast. Your scape shows you gone from high trim maintenance down to lower work loads:)
Make sure to inform others about such issues.

I tend to keep a mix of both high work and low work tanks.
Also, the R wallichi does much better if you uporoot and replant the tops, vs topping and letting the new growth come back.
Glad to see the rocks back

Great job on the tank build.

Regards,
Tom Barr

One comment on the hair grass: mow the lawn:)
Like to 2 cm tall. It grows back and is easier to maintain over time this way.

Yes you are right, in my precedent tank, I managed to keep it over 6 month, maybe 8, by just doing that. A good hair cut every other week.

Glass you took out that other weed, Gloss.
Folks seem to enjoy that weed till they keep it for awhile.

It will just grow way too fast. Your scape shows you gone from high trim maintenance down to lower work loads:)
Make sure to inform others about such issues.

The problem I had with the glosso, it use to form big leaves and after few weeks grow like a stem plant (very tall). Never understood why. It used to do that with my 180L with 250W HQL and with the T5 and in this tank under T5. :?:
And yes it grow far far to fast.

Also, the R wallichi does much better if you uporoot and replant the tops, vs topping and letting the new growth come back.

Thanks for the advice, will do. ;)

Glad to see the rocks back

Great job on the tank build.

Thanks very much Tom.

nice rock work! :D

Tanks Planter, but I can not take the credit. If you look at the ADA catalogue 2006, you will know why. ;)

I love the clean looks!!

Where is your heater? Aplogies if you have posted this earlier,

Cheers,

Thanks Redstevo. Don't apologies, you did not see any, because I don't use any. I used to put an Hydore external during the winter. But this year I been to lazy to put it back. The tank did not go below 23C.
My main problem is the heat, the tank now is around 28/29C and the HC don't really like it :(

great to see someone else building tanks.. its alot easier than everyone thinks it is.

It is true, it is not a big deal, specialy that size.
When I was 19 I bought a 450L with the base broken so I had to unglue change the base and reglue it. It was a bit more hard, at the time there wasn't the internet and had to do it by felling. But it did okay. Now being older a bit less crazy and more wise I will think twice to do a tank that big. But why not :lol:
I take you are building your own tank, what size?

Hi all,

After being away from the hobby for a while, few news of the tank.

That was the tank how it was just before moving house, not finish but no choice.

07-2008001.jpg

After, I done that, did not really have the time to do a hardscape or anything else. 6 to 8 weeks after planting.

07-2008045.jpg

The temperatures did get very hot over here and the tank was 30C. The HC did not like it, did not have the time to do any thing about it etc...
So last week, I started all over again. Received an order of plants from Green Machine today. I have to say very good. Few times I tried to import HC, it never did well, I used to get 80 and 90% lost. But the HC I got lunch time, I did not loss 1 stem...
A photo of the hardscape, will have to fiddle a bit with the stones and I will post a picture once the plants will stand up a bit more.

007.jpg

Vito said:
Hey Alex, Just checked out your journal, nice designs, never seen so many changes done before and each one seems to be even better, the latest one looks great so far.

good luck!

Vito

Thanks, will try to finish this one :? Pratice make it perfect, like they say :D . I am far to be perfect, but every time, I learn some thing. So it is a good thing. But don't expecte to much. I ordered some plants more for me than what they should be for an aquarium of this size. Just wanted to tried plants I never tried before.

@ aaronnorth & joyous214:
Thanks. I am sort of happy with the wood, but the stones will need to be sorted a bit.

Alexandre, its nice for us to put a tank to a name and a very nice tank too! So glad that you were happy with the plants. Take care and best wishes,
Jim and Mark.

The-Green-Machine said:
Alexandre, its nice for us to put a tank to a name and a very nice tank too! So glad that you were happy with the plants. Take care and best wishes,
Jim and Mark.

Thanks, I think if I don't mess it up, it should turn up into a nice aquarium and thanks to you.

003.jpg

Get some hairgrass in there!
I absolutely love it! It'll be the bee knees once its grown out.
How do you find water changes living in cyprus I went years ago and seem to remember it being in a state of massive draught?

joyous214 said:
oohhhh nice

Thanks joyous214.

Garuf said:
Get some hairgrass in there!
I absolutely love it! It'll be the bee knees once its grown out.
How do you find water changes living in cyprus I went years ago and seem to remember it being in a state of massive draught?

Thanks Garuf. There is a little bit of hairgrass in it. ;)
For the water change it is a nightmare. Where I used to leave before, it was all right, to close to the twon center to cut the water. Now I only get maybe 24h per week of drinking water, and the normal tap water don't have enought pressure to run the RO unit even with the pressure pompe swicht on. Last time I tried, it took me 24h to make 50l :rolleyes:

PS: I do use the bad water from the RO for the garden. ;)

Back