• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY ADA Green gain

Having read what green gain is about, I've search online for a few other items. One of the item I came across is this Cytokinin: 6-Benzylaminopurine 25 Grams (PGR)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cytokinin-6-Benzy ... 27aba98591

Theoretically by adding this to the tank after pruning, your plant should be able to recover faster and produce more side shoots i.e. similar effect of green gain.

Is there any chemist out there that can clarify if this will be safe for fish? And If I'm adding to the 10 gallon tank, how much do I need to achieve 1000ppm? It will be easy if I can just dilute this into water and just dose a couple of drops every water change.

any thoughts?

Hi all,
This is the first time I've heard of this, and I'd be very skeptical, you can certainly use hormone dips to initiate cell callusing in difficult to root/slow cuttings (Magnolias etc.), but I can't see that it can possibly work in the tank.

Also you certainly wouldn't need 1000ppm! that would be 1g in 1 litre (assuming the density of "green gain" isn't vastly different from water) large scale growth hormone application has all sorts of effects, infact that is how hormone based herbicides work.

I'd go for 1 drop in your 10 gallons every water change, if it does have any effects it will, and if it doesn't it won't do any harm.

If I was going to use it, I might try it to help propagate split rhizomes of Anubias and Bolbitis, where they grow fairly slowly and it might encourage callus formation.

cheers Darrel

Well maybe dilute the powder into 1000ppm solution and then add 5mls to every 10gallon and titrate it up to see if there is any noticeable difference? Seeing those south east asian tank out there that uses exclusively ADA product that has stem plants that is so compact makes me think that the hormone must really work. lol

Hi all,
Daniel said
h....as stem plants that is so compact makes me think that the hormone must really work...
I'd be fairly confident that is related to the light intensity and wavelength and/or lots of light pruning. If you reduce the red and far red wavelengths of your incident light you can produce plants with very short internodes, it's a favourite approach of C*nnab*s growers who want stocky flowering plants. Frequent light pruning also has the same effect, think of a garden lawn, box hedge or tea plantation.
cheers Darrel

Hiya, you can get these hormone growth modulators from aquaessentials, they sell the AZOO versions. Two different types, one for root and one for shoot formation if I remember right. I tried the shoot growth hormone, can't say I noticed a huge difference to be honest with you, but it wasn't expensive at all so not a huge waste of money. Just can't really say it transformed the plant growth how I imagined it would having done a degree which focussed quite a bit on plant physiology (albeit terrestrial) I would think you'd maybe be better off just keeping on top of your fert dosing etc.

Just thought I'd throw my twopenneth in! :lol:

Andy

Back