• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA Style Aquarium Stand

wanted to varnish so was completely solid and no water could penetrate it, only thing I am worried about is the gloss turning yellow that's why asking if can use emulsion, like dulux pure brilliant white matt what I use for celling and the use a varnish over the top for a glossy finish ?

Dean

wanted to varnish so was completely solid and no water could penetrate it, only thing I am worried about is the gloss turning yellow that's why asking if can use emulsion, like dulux pure brilliant white matt what I use for celling and the use a varnish over the top for a glossy finish ?

Dean

The paint should suffice mate, but you could use a plasticote spray gloss topcoat, that'll be nice aesthetically, but not necessary for waterproofness.

Ps. Get your hands dirty, and if something doesn't turn out exactly how you want it to, then use that to better yourself next time :)

Have confidence in your own ability, self doubt is the only thing holding you back :D

that's so weird just sent u pm mate then seen this

what you think is best for a white glossy finish ?

might just go grey emulsion the varnish as know wont change colour

I hope dean doesn't mind me posting my reply to his pm here too:

Spray won't change colour mate. I think your referring to normal oil based paint. The oil eventually changes the colour of the paint.
Spray paints normally consist of alcohol know as cellulose, which does not have an effect on colour pigment. Same with brush on meth based paints, no yellowing.

Cheers,
N

I hope dean doesn't mind me posting my reply to his pm here too:

Spray won't change colour mate. I think your referring to normal oil based paint. The oil eventually changes the colour of the paint.
Spray paints normally consist of alcohol know as cellulose, which does not have an effect on colour pigment. Same with brush on meth based paints, no yellowing.

Cheers,
N

don't mind at all yeah I know its the oils in the gloss that turn it yellow, never really used spray before will it not work out expensive and harder to do or is there any similar paints in tins to use roller with

Dean

Well got Mdf cut today and decided white, to be honest it's to save some money looked at dulux primer for difficult surfaces and £18 for a 750ml tin lol so purchased cheaper one, water based same as dulux is that ok ? Then going to go over with the paint I showed earlier but need thinking but doesn't say how on the tin any ideas ? Should be water tight enough shouldn't it with 2 primer and 2-3 gloss

Thanks Dean

Pic
u7edy6us.jpg

Already have 3/4 tin of this and wood bellow

y3u2udy7.jpg

You think tht primer ok water based

Thanks Dean

Attachments

• u7edy6us.jpg
    u7edy6us.jpg
    827.9 KB · Views: 143
  • y3u2udy7.jpg
    y3u2udy7.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 130
How much did the wood cost you mate? Did you get the rebate done?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

The paint should suffice mate, but you could use a plasticote spray gloss topcoat, that'll be nice aesthetically, but not necessary for waterproofness.

Ps. Get your hands dirty, and if something doesn't turn out exactly how you want it to, then use that to better yourself next time :)

Have confidence in your own ability, self doubt is the only thing holding you back :D
if you doubt your powers!

no didn't get rebate done as not fitting hinges just using magnets mate, so should be water proof yeah ? hope is nice and shiney. at work for 4 days now so will crack on Monday or Tuesday next week. would you recommend using the water based primer first then assembling or assemble then primer sand paint?

also should I use the filler over the joins aswel as screw heads ?

and should I sand with 320 grit in-between every coat or should the sanding get thinner and less ?

also how will I thin down that gloss ?

Dean

Nice one Deano, I just hope those panels are the right size.:nailbiting:

I can't advise you about the finish as I wouldn't know what I'm talking about, sounds like Big Clown and Nathaniel do though!

I'm looking forward to seeing it finished! :)

Put a couple of coats of primer round the seen edges before you build it
Then build it. i used 60grit in between primer coats with a block to flat off. then i used the 320 grit in between gloss coats to get flat and smooth before the last coat(make sure its properly set hard before this finish sand before the top coat)

Hanks guys some I the cut panels are 1-2mm off after measuring but will build and see how looks should be ok, with all the coats lol think tank will be quite low but so suppose good for maintenance etc

Thanks Dean

I paid about £40, a bit more, but that was from a Timber Merchant. I thought that the bloke operating the saw there would be a bit more skilled / precise than the part timer in B & Q.

Ur most likey correct James there is 1-2mm off on panels but like I say hopefully ok, wood was £20 Ali, even though purchase primer still debating colour lol only because I know will turn yellow over time and don't want to paint yearly lol sorry for bugging you with this just saying still not 100%

Thanks Dean

I got wood (cut), glue & a tube of pollyfiller for less than £25 from B&Q. I've also just bought 4 blum softclose hinges and a 35mm forstner bit to fit them with for about £15, and i've asked the bodyshop manager at work if he can, and if so how much he'll charge to have a vehicle body technician flat & paint it all ;) Not holding out too much hope, but be great if they could...

How are people levelling these units? Packing them out underneath etc or just have dead flat floors?!

Haha flat floors...is there such a thing?? I have to use packers on my expensive premade units!!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Back