DIY amazon root

Discussion in 'Journals' started by neelhound, 27 Sep 2009.

1. neelhound

neelhound Member

Using mopani with lots of bits of carved manzanita arranged around and sealant-ed. Also little tiny branchy manzanita that stays white even underwater. The ukaps manzanita was as good but different so i used it in the other tank.
    The mopani was heavy so i needed help and i had vto put so much tape on.
    The last picture shows the final product after changing it around a lot( sometimes i changed it because it fell)
    Its dry now and has a black background.
    IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg

2. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

Looks awesome with the black background, get some plants coming down from the surface like Frogbit, that will give it a real river finish!

3. JamesM

JamesM Member

What a cool idea, love it! :D

4. neelhound

neelhound Member

thanks,i would but im not sure how itll cope with filter output circulation. :/ it would look good though

im also thinking of painting a tree on the wall, as although if your far back it looks liek roots, when your right next to the tank you need some confirmation

5. neelhound

neelhound Member

tbh id love frogbit, itd be great considerig some of the fish im getting like shade, however they would need considerable aeration as they are big, and i dont want the frogbit zooming around lol

6. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

that looks sweet :thumbup:

7. Stu Worrall

Stu Worrall Forum Moderator Staff Member

that looks amazing! the tree on the wall idea sounds really cool too

8. Tunafish

Tunafish Pike man

Best root layout i've seen, nice use of space mate!, what fish are you going for?

9. Bobtastic

Bobtastic Member

Wow, that looks really good. I can't wait to see how it progresses! :thumbup:

10. ScottYalloP

ScottYalloP Member

great looking!

11. plantbrain

plantbrain Expert

Nice use of the wood in a different view.

This would look good as a non CO2 tank using floating water sprite and a nice darker look with white sand bottom.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

12. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Member

That's hardcore. I haven't seen such an ambitious use of driftwood in some time.

13. neelhound

neelhound Member

thanks all,
    the fish will be my GT, a knifefish, and an undecided catfish. This tank was up and runnign with great fish but i returned from holidays to find them dead, unfortunately.
    I was thinking amazon frogbit but maybe watersprite would give a better look actually. My main problem is figuring out hiding aeration, as with a spraybar the watersprite woudl go everywhere and i want them to cover eveything

14. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Member

This setup could also look great with some larger emergent plants to mirror the driftwood in the space above the water. Is there any chance you could suspend the light up higher?

15. neelhound

neelhound Member

Its a great idea, but im using t8s, the GT jumps and all the filter pipes and wires would be easy to spot :/

16. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Member

Oh yeah. You could probably hide that hardware with enough foliage, but your fish would leap out with an open top. What is a "GT" anyway?

17. neelhound

neelhound Member

green terror, hes in my planted tank uprooting things, once hes moved both tanks will look better :)

18. neelhound

neelhound Member

Ok, i have decided im getting 2 eheim 2080s(used) WHEN I CAN FIND THEM, then putting an eheim diffuser on one and masking that area with vallis on that side, and will be getting many water sprites. Will be using rena smartheaters instead of hydor inline.
    Once I find my eheims, the tank will be up and running in no time :)

19. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Nice idea :) can't wait to see it filled in and planted, have you tried the roots the other way round?

20. neelhound

neelhound Member

thanks,
    and londondragon do you mean like all the great scapes here where the wood is going outward? Im trying that with my smaller tank but with this tanks its already siliconed in.
    Im only getting one 2080 and using it with an aquis 1250.
    Spending lots of money on substrat pro...