• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY amazon root

Hi

This tank has changed over time, and I really like the look and stock of it now.
What Geophagus are they?
If you're still debating on Crinums, I could really see 2 or 3 of these looking great with the plants you have already.
Well done on a very interesting and effective dispay. My other favourite fish would look amazing in there amongst those roots. Everybodys favourite plant muncher, the silver dollar :) black bar variety, myleus schomburgkii are made for roots!

Anyway, thanks for sharing. It's right up my street and gives inspiration for future tanks.

Cheers

Gavin

Thanks, they are geophagus brachybranchus and I just got them yesterday, but they have already settled in well. Its 2 wild caught parents with 3 f1 young

neelhound said:
Thanks,im done with stocking i think theres a large gold nugget, pim ornatus and black ghost knifefish there that aren't shown in the picture. I think tetras would get eaten

Oh ok. Yeah anything smaller than a rummynose would definitly be in the knifefish. Good stocking though.

I really like your tank, and it looks very natural. This is how I would imagine an Amazon river to be.

If I was doing this tank, and would actually try to replicate it, I would just put tetras or neons on it, lots of them, with some cory's.

Your tank really looks great, and it is a true inspiration.

Thanks, unfortunately i already had soem of these fish in for a while, and even if i did rehome them small fish like tetras would be horrible to try and catch and there are quite a lot of caves and i'd be worried counting all of them every day,
all the fish are found in suriname with the exception of the L018, and all the fish are found in the amazon with the exception of the geophagus brachybranchus

I may be wrong, but I was always under the impression this was an Amazon tributary ????
Do you hope to get a spawn from this group? As they've spawned before.

i may be wrong, but i cant seem to find anythign to say that they are from the amazon but would hope so as then they would all be from the same river.
I do hope to get a spawn i'll have to wait and see :D

I think of the amazon as a continent. It's a river system of utterly giant proportions, so its tributaries are river systems in themselves. I forget the figures but it's about 4200miles from start to finish and pours about a third of the worlds fresh water into the Atlantic. Something ridiculous like that. I seem to be drawn to fish from the Rio Xingu which is an amazon tributary. My dollars and my altifrons are found there. And in my other tank I have G. Tapajos redheads and L34 plecs, both from the Rio Tapajos, another tributary. I'm not really into exact Biotopes but there's something nice about keeping fish from the amazon system together in a tank.
I had a quick google but I think looking at maps might be best to see where the Suriname starts and finishes.
Either way, great fish mate! :) and you have good taste.

Thanks, i have done some research on this but just concluded that they are all from south america and generally require similar water conditions

Back