• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Bright Sand?

jay

Well as I'm sure we can all agree, its fairly pricey... as far as sand goes.
What I'm wondering is can there be a way of replicating the look of it using a mixture of different sands?
Play sand with a certain amount of black sand, with maybe some larger grain of substrate.

Any ideas?

Or should I just stump up the dough?

I've not seen it in the flesh, but Unipac Zambezi resembles it partially. One of my LFS sells very fine sand which has a nicer colour than your average play sand. Bit more natural looking. I've tried mixing the two in my new 80cm and seems to look reasonably nice :)

Zambezi? Have to look into that.
I just remember using a black sand from 'Fish'r'Fun' or something it was called. Just a cheap packet but it looked great, though I could use something like that with a large amount of aqua sand. Its less orange than silicone or play sand.

I don't know if you can get it where you are or not but you can get a pure white sand from hagen this could easily be mixed with the more yellowy unipac sand that I use to produce something more like brightsand.

Check this image. The Zambezi is the more gravel looking stuff, though it is quite fine:

shaoling.jpg

Ahh that Zambezi looks great, just a little bit of white sand. Not sure if its by Hagen but I know of the one from AE. Seems very fine. Have to go on the hunt for that Zambezi I think :D

Well my local MA store does sell Unipac Zambezi. Near £20 for a bag of what I mostly won't need... add that to a bag of white sand to mix, then for the price, I might as well get a bag of ADA Bright sand... so I did.

Just got it this morning and its very very nice.

Would've been nice to see how my idea would've compared though. Think it could work nicely for a large covering. Anything small then you may as well splash out IMO :D

I have actually seen it sold in most of the Maidenhead Aquatics shops i've been to... should just call up your nearest and see if they'll order it.

Back