• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Cabinet 750h x 300d x 600w

James D

I've decided to try and make a Cabinet for my ADA 60P, I've looked at a load of kitchen and bathroom cabinets to convert but the cost is prohibitive.

After reading Danny's excellent posts here I'm going to get some 18mm MDF cut and give it a go (even though I'm crap at DIY!).

Here's my plan, I'm putting these up for two reasons, firstly, any advice about what could be wrong would be appreciated and second, someone else might want to use them.

All the pieces will fit easily onto a 2440 x 1220 sheet so at the weekend I'm of to price up getting them cut, as Danny had some success at B&Q I'll try there first.

89sd.jpg

1xs5.jpg

Getting a decent finish on the MDF is my biggest worry at the moment, but I'll update as it happens.

BTW the plan is to use magnets to keep the 'door' on.

Thanks

James

Looks good. Plans look the same as the plans I had for my DIY cabinet, which is identical minus the centre brace. You may want to leave that out, could cause issues for filter access etc.

Mine was glued and pinned together, and then I used a few screws once the glue had set. I also used small corner braces on the inside of mine just to help keep the joins together.

I also planned on using mag catches to hold the door in place, I never got around to it though and am still using Blue Tac over a year later lol

I'm going to building one for my 80cm tank soon, I'll use a centre brace for that as it'll be wider and won't be so tight on filter access, it will also have 2 x 400mm wide doors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Mark.

Actually I've found a mistake already. I've just been checking my drawings and I think I need to take 2mm off the door height to make sure it fits! :facepalm:

Thanks Wallace, that's good to hear. Yours is sturdy enough without the brace?

Can I ask what paint / finish you used.

Thanks Wallace, that's good to hear. Yours is sturdy enough without the brace?

Can I ask what paint / finish you used.

Yeah mine is solid as a rock, no movement or signs or warping / bowing etc

I never actually finished mine, I couldn't decide on what colour I wanted it and me and the wife couldn't agree so I left it as plain as B&Q intended it to be lol

I'll be taking more time and care with the next one mind, and this time we WILL agree on a colour / finish for it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, more of a removable panel than a door though, I suppose it might be a bit heavy but it should look a bit neater.I've also made a drawing that looks more like an ADA cabinet with the two doors and the horizontal top strip visible. I'm going to think about it for a few days before I get it cut anyway.

Tut tut Wallace, blu tac and the beautiful 'natural' MDF finish! :happy:

I made a similar one for my ADA 75P. I cut the doors in two so the doors weren't as heavy...might be an idea. I have about a 2/3mm gap between the doors.

Cheers Ross, the more I think about it two doors is the way to go, I'll amend my drawing.

I have made quite a few cupboards & furniture bits and bobs from MDF, not fish tank cupboards though.

Hints are
- Put some 2x1 on underside of top to stop any bowing at all.
- Put some 2x1 on rear of front support bar, again to stop bowing.
- Get the correct drill/router to cut holes for hinges. Normal screw on hinges with screws don't stay put too long in MDF.
- I primed all my MDF with MDF primer, works much better than DIY primer of diluted emulsion paint.
- Fine sand the primer before painting.
- One cupboard I sprayed with Plasticote aerosol spray can. Expensive, but gorgeous finish. Very messy when spraying, I made a "spray booth" by hanging bed sheets in the garage...yes they were old bed sheets. Wear a breathing mask and do when warm. Can spray on protective varnish for even shinier tougher finish.
- Another I rollered on gloss. Dilute gloss a tad before rollering.Use a new roller & tray for each coat.
- Another I rollered mix & match emulsion followed by two coats of varnish. Can wash emulsion rollers and tray between uses, but not varnish.

Good ideas for the finish, the only reason I mentioned car paints is due to experience I have of spraying PC case's in my miss spent youth. Not sure how well it would work on wood tho...

My best covering was the Plasticote metallic silver with Plasticote sealer, not cheap, 3 cans @ £7 each + sealer @ £7, but the finish was mirror smooth and virtually unchippable.

Out of interest, how would this design work with 18mm Plywood?

Out of interest, how would this design work with 18mm Plywood?

It would produce a very bad finish unless grain filled and edges of doors would be untidy unless you took the time to fill them and sand down a few times before you painted.

Overall, a waterproof MDF will provide the best of both scenarios.

I'm going to use plywood,then stick Formica to the face of every edge. Then trim off with a router Formica trimmer.

The finish will be flawless then, and I'll never have to worry about paint wearing etc.

Back