• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

diy cabinet (for tank 70x40x40)

whitey

Seedling
Hi all

On Friday I ended my diy bonanza, and below are the results. The goal was to keep the cabinet as ascetic as possible.
The tank standing on the cabinet is 110l 70x40x40cm.

project:
cabinet01_project.jpg

pretty straight forward, top is made from double mdf and that 3 pieces 7x67cm going under make a beam, to make cabinet more stiff.

cabinet02_overv.jpg

cutting and assembling outside

cabinet03_screws_det.jpg

screws countersink detail

cabinet05_filler.jpg

filler

cabinet06_handle_notsanded.jpg

handle cut out and filled

cabinet07_filler_sand.jpg

sanding in progress...

cabinet08_guinness.jpg

of course breaks are very important, :D

cabinet09_inside_silicon.jpg

silicone for sealing corners just in case of small disaster

cabinet10_primer.jpg

after first primer layer, first disappointments. "Filler and sandpaper" story again.

painting, painting, painting... 4x primer, and 4x dark grey matt paint

tada!!
cabinet11_ready.jpg

cabinet13_door_detail1.jpg

cabinet14_door_detail2.jpg

cabinet15_inside.jpg

Price: MDF ~ £25, filler £7+6, screws £5, iron on tape £2, hinges £10 Ikea (they are excellent! made in Austria), primer and paint 2x£6 2x£7.5, cable ports £11(incl postage). All together about £95.
Final thoughts. I my opinion the cabinet looks a bit strange because of the ratio between doors and upper part of the cabinet. The doors should be bigger (higher), but this is minor detail.

Great work :clap: :clap: :clap:
First thing I noticed that ratio of the doors also. and personally I would have gone for two doors with a column in the middle front for support. but excellent work :) thanks for posting it

Thanks. I've changed slightly idea during the project and decided make top from double MDF without changing the rest of the dimensions and that was crucial decision. If you'll substract 3cm (2x mdf) from the top part you'll see that the cabinet looks completely different... next time 3d visualisation in Solid Edge before cutting MDF :? ...
Thanks for comment anyway.
Cheers.

Very nice!

The combination of the ADA style with the hood works very well.

I actually prefer hoods these days from a practicle perspective as I'm too lazy for constant top-ups and they're ideal if you have jumpy fish.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi,

I think that looks really nice and personally quite like the ratio between the door and the section above. Slightly concerned about its structural soundness but I'm sure you've covered this essential base. A couple of constructive points though if I may. I personally for the kind of look it feels like your going for would have covered the bottom couple of inches of the tank so you don't see the undertank matt and the tank bottom and some of the substrate that you'll no doubt be using. Also maybe the hood could be a little deeper firstly to aid your lighting but I also think another inch or two would be better proportioned and more in line with the base unit. Both points are just personal taste though so take with a large pinch of salt. Overall I think you've done a great job, it looks like a profetionally made cabinet, well done, hope it gives you years of pleasure.

Regards, Chris.

Hi
Thanks for comment. Small hint, buy a crate of beer before sanding :lol:
actually if you let me know before you'll start I'll give you better idea how to make top surface, less sanding, better looking, I can even make drawing for you if you like, just send me a tank dimensions and overall height.
Cheers.

Back