• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Citric acid CO2 complete system for £35 or less

Ok thanks, good to know.. I'm also still in the phase of doing math.. When i restarted this hobby again last year i sterted straight away with high tech. It's frustrating. :( Now i have another low tech, but i'm so used to excesive plantgrowth it kinda hurts sitting and looking at a slow growing low tech. It agonizingly slow if you compare it... It gives me some kind of cold turkey.. I'm very much thinking to get some doping and boost the tank with a paintball brewery to get more plant mass faster and go back to low tech again...

Dunno yet, on the other hand i think that would be cheating and the low tech gods will never forgive me.. :rolleyes: And have other plans to, which actualy need to do first.. So i'm kinda with you on that feeling.

Beware what you getting yourself into..

a 2kg bottle should fit in most cabinets!!
This is a very special case... I don't have a cabinet... :oops: I have the tank in a small coffee table, which is about 40cm high.
I had to put the sodastream canister almost at a 45 degree angle because after fitting the adapter and the regulator, it wouldn't fit in.

What would last longer, 60L Sodastream or DIY 1kg acid + 1kg soda, as I think the refill is roughly the same price ?

Can you not put your fe somewhere else in the room? and hide the hose under carpet or behind wood trim?

I got the sodastream kit from co2 art a while back, for like £89, and it was well worth it.

i've considered the DIY options etc, but personally I'd recommend saving and getting something like that, as it pretty much gives you everything, including solenoid; and is top quality as well

I got the sodastream kit from co2 art a while back, for like £89, and it was well worth it.

i've considered the DIY options etc, but personally I'd recommend saving and getting something like that, as it pretty much gives you everything, including solenoid; and is top quality as well
I completely agree. And it also gives you a lot more peace of mind.

This is a very special case... I don't have a cabinet... :oops: I have the tank in a small coffee table, which is about 40cm high.
I had to put the sodastream canister almost at a 45 degree angle because after fitting the adapter and the regulator, it wouldn't fit in.
Does that mean you went with the sodastream setup in the end, how are you finding it
? How tall are the canister and regulator together, I am thinking of using this system too but also have limited space...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Does that mean you went with the sodastream setup in the end, how are you finding it
? How tall are the canister and regulator together, I am thinking of using this system too but also have limited space...
Yes I did. I like it very much.

The canister itself is around 35cm high, then you need to add an adapter and the regulator. I didn't measure it with everything, but since I got a regulator for horizontal canisters (just to try and keep it shorter) it should be around 50cm high in total.

In the end I was able to put everything I needed below the coffee table: CO2 system, electronics, external filter, and a box with a bunch of stuff I need on a daily/weekly basis (like ferts, tools, fish food, etc.).

I can take a few measurements and pics later today if you want.

Sorry to intrude and for the crazy idea.

What would happen if someone would drop a little baking soda and citric acid directly in the tank each day? could it be dangerous?

Michel.

What would happen if someone would drop a little baking soda and citric acid directly in the tank each day? could it be dangerous?
Yes you would end up with a tank full of sodium citrate. Excess sodium has no place in an aquarium.

Back