• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Clear Cover - Materials?

I use 2 perspex pieces - cut to size, as a cover for my 2ft tank. Had them for years and a bit (very) scratched and cloudy now after being scrubbed with a greenback sponge to get off some paint I put on to simulate leaves :lol: but they work fine and the plants don't seem to care ;) They work much better than the thin plastic tank covers you can buy.

I'll be buying some more soon to make a cover for son's Arc Pod nano tank as the water evaporates before your eyes, so will get enough to replace them too. It's very cheap and easy to cut.

I use a local plastic supplier on the industrial estate.

£6 for a 1.5m clear plastic to replace the yellowed one in my Arcadia Luminaire

and £7 for 4mm thick top to fit my 36" tank (It sits on the braces, slightly too small so I can fit my fingers in it)

I got a 2 ft off-cut from a local glaziers for £1.50. Sold as Polystyrene, but not as you know it! Used for shed windows etc.

Easy to cut to exact size by scoring with a sharp (Stanley) knife, prefererably both sides, then it just snaps away. I've rounded corners and allowed for filter pipe work with a file: works a treat.

I purchased some acrylic on ebay before, just have a look at people that sell it and then ask them how much would it cost with the dimensions you want, my piece came pre cut to my measures no hassle and pretty cheap too.

Back