• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY CO2 Question

LondonDragon said:
Richard2510 said:
Just had a quick look at these. I think I'll get a couple. How do you control the flow rate?
With DIY you can't, just let it all go into the tank 24/7, that's why you need to start with one bottle and measure it with a drop checker and then if you need to had the second bottle, the air pump during lights out will give the fish a break and prevent them being poisoned.

EDIT: Corrected punctuation as made aware by Mark, cheers

Right, I'm with you. I'm gonna order one, get it up and running (with an air pump running on a timmer set to the opposite of the light) then keep an eye on it using the drop checker and then see if I need a 2nd one.

Cheers :thumbup:

Richard

Richard2510 said:
Right, I'm with you. I'm gonna order one, get it up and running (with an air pump running on a timmer set to the opposite of the light) then keep an eye on it using the drop checker and then see if I need a 2nd one.
Cheers :thumbup:
Richard
Any time, just turn off the air pump two hours before the lights come on, to enable the CO2 to build up in the water so that when the lights come on there is plenty of CO2 available for the plants. You could try it without the air pump at first and see how your fish react, but its risky business with DIY, I almost wiped my entire stock when I started using DIY CO2.

1st Hagen CO2 system arrived today. I'll monitor the levels and if necessary order a second unit. I now just need to get an air pump to work through the night and hopefully I'll be sorted. :clap:

Richard2510 said:
1st Hagen CO2 system arrived today. I'll monitor the levels and if necessary order a second unit. I now just need to get an air pump to work through the night and hopefully I'll be sorted. :clap:

DIY Recipe for Nutrafin CO2:

I fill sugar up to the line indicated in the Hagen canister, add 1/4 tsp yeast, 1 tsp baking soda, and then fill water up to the top line.

Back