• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY dirt - can I sprinkle Seachem Equilibrium on the base?

George1992

Seedling
I’ve been reading about DIY methods of making your own dirt. The method says to mix clay with the topsoil, which I am in the middle of. It then says to add dolomite and muriate of potash to the bottom of the tank before adding the soil. I’m finding it hard to get hold of.

Can I just add Seachem equilibrium instead as it contains calcium and potassium?

Here’s a link to the article.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-mineralized-soil-substrate-aaron-talbot.html

I have skipped the demineralising step as I am using organic topsoil and have done many times before with no adverse affects.

Attachments

• 1C70D8C5-BC6E-41BF-A6D6-D3D98F523DB7.jpeg
    1C70D8C5-BC6E-41BF-A6D6-D3D98F523DB7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
I wouldn't do it. The idea of adding dolomite (or other calcium source) is to provide a long-lasting Ca/Mg source from almost insoluble compounds, and also to buffer soil's pH.
Seachem Eq, AFAIK, consists of chemicals that are much easier soluble, and also they don't affect pH.

If you have Seachem Eq, but no dolomite/coral crush, just don't add anything to the soil, but add a bit of Seachem Eq at water changes (if you need to up GH, that is).

Back