DIY external filter

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by Themuleous, 11 Nov 2009.

1. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Anyone tried/made a DIY external filter?

It would seem pretty straight forward using a lockable food storage container like this and a powerhead (which makes getting decent flow easier).

http://www.cookshop.uk.com/prod_img/1369_1_large.jpg

The tricky bit I can see is getting a seal around the tubing connectors, I think sumps on marine tanks have something like this for holes they cut into the glass, I'm just not sure what I'm looking for?

Any tips?

Sam

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

I can't find the post but I did find some info on doing this, with a small cheap 300lph power head (cheap ebay job). I didn't get around to trying it out though :) I did have a link somewhere...

3. samc

samc Member

i have made a small one with a lunch box which was working well when i tested it. i have not used it on a tank yet though

4. vauxhallmark

vauxhallmark Member

The plumbing fittings used to put pipes through tank's glass sides are called bulkheads.

Mark

5. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Perfect, thanks Mark :thumbup: I knew there was a name for them!

Sam

6. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

Sam, I know I am going off on a tangent here...

If I was DIY'ing a filter I'd be inclined to go for a sump with bulkheads in and out of the tank. You get a larger area for biological filtration and could play about with tubing lengths\pump ratings\head heights\flow accelerators to get the exact amount of flow you want. (flow like Ed describes here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3012&p=32891&hilit=+diy+filter+#p32891 )

Not because I think it is better than an external but just because it would be more fun to DIY :rolleyes: :lol:

back on topic...

'loc-line' do a range of modular hosing and connectors. Might be useful to you.

7. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

So there do, cheers Matt :)