• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY external filter

Themuleous

Anyone tried/made a DIY external filter?

It would seem pretty straight forward using a lockable food storage container like this and a powerhead (which makes getting decent flow easier).

http://www.cookshop.uk.com/prod_img/1369_1_large.jpg

The tricky bit I can see is getting a seal around the tubing connectors, I think sumps on marine tanks have something like this for holes they cut into the glass, I'm just not sure what I'm looking for?

Any tips?

Sam

I can't find the post but I did find some info on doing this, with a small cheap 300lph power head (cheap ebay job). I didn't get around to trying it out though :) I did have a link somewhere...

The plumbing fittings used to put pipes through tank's glass sides are called bulkheads.

Mark

Sam, I know I am going off on a tangent here...

If I was DIY'ing a filter I'd be inclined to go for a sump with bulkheads in and out of the tank. You get a larger area for biological filtration and could play about with tubing lengths\pump ratings\head heights\flow accelerators to get the exact amount of flow you want. (flow like Ed describes here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3012&p=32891&hilit=+diy+filter+#p32891 )

Not because I think it is better than an external but just because it would be more fun to DIY :rolleyes: :lol:

back on topic...

'loc-line' do a range of modular hosing and connectors. Might be useful to you.

Back