• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Garden fertiliser?

Steve Smith

I was wondering. I have a bunch of EI ferts kicking about that I'm not using and my garden could do with a bit of a pep (specifically the grass or "lawn"). Now, I could go out and buy some miracle grow or other such product but I wondered if I had enough NPK ferts to DIY something.

How much NPK is there likely to be in your average hosepipe feed bottle? I only have perhaps 500g of each dry salt but if it proved to be cheaper, I'd consider buying more for this purpose.

Any tips/advice from the experts?

Interesting, I use our old water from tank changes on lawn and plants, I'm sure its better than tap water. I'd imagine what we are using in our tanks has better things in it. Than over rated miracle grow.:)

I've read of the benefits of doing that as well, especially if following a full blown EI regime, but I currently produce about 10L of waste water a week with my tiny tank :) (and I'm light dosing as it's a low tech setup). Enough for some house plants though!

While on the subject of gardens hope you don't mind a pic of me in ours. Glad I've the day off.:)

gegusase.jpg

Yes I know sock and crocs.!

I could do yes. It's our temporary fire pit until I make another chimnea. I gave my last one away. Making things from junk is one of my hobbies. I made this peacock Saturday for my wife's school.
e7ameru2.jpg
7a3y3yjy.jpg
the kids are going to decourate it with feathers they are making. It's to go in there garden area. A pic of stoves ive made for family and friends.
6a4u4a9e.jpg
.:).

Interestingly, I've found this: Facts about Garden Fertilizer - You can make your own

After skimming it, I noticed this:

You can make your own compounds by simply mixing together two or more straight fertilizers. The following are often made at home:

A fertilizer for general use:

Sulphate of ammonia 5 parts by weight Superphosphate 5 parts by weight Sulphate of potash 2 parts by weight

Analysis 8% N, 8% P205 8% K20.

John Innes Base Fertilizer for potted plants :

Hoof and Horn meal 2 parts by weight Superphosphate 2 parts by weight Sulphate of potash 1 part by weight

Analysis 5.1% N, 7.2% P205, 9.6% K20

Thankyou, all done in our garden.all you need is a grinder, and an arc welder and the ability to get in and out of skips and leave the tip with more than you took there.:) It's all self tought it all started when our first car an old mini with hardly a floor burning holes everywhere . Anyway enough filling your thread with my stuff. I'll ne keeping an eye to see who else uses ferts for garden.:)

Thankyou, all done in our garden.all you need is a grinder, and an arc welder and the ability to get in and out of skips and leave the tip with more than you took there.:) It's all self tought it all started when our first car an old mini with hardly a floor burning holes everywhere . Anyway enough filling your thread with my stuff. I'll ne keeping an eye to see who else uses ferts for garden.:)

i want one of those chimneas lol

Steve,
Unless I'm missing something, there is no point in doing all that work for your lawn when you can just buy Miracle Grow or Osmocote for cheap.

Cheers,

I empty my waste tank water onto the front lawn, which, the areas where the water goes, are monstrously greener than rest of lawn and seems to grow much faster than the rest of the lawn!!!!

Must get a longer hose so can water all the lawn rather than the bits nearer the window

Hi all,
Unless I'm missing something, there is no point in doing all that work for your lawn when you can just buy Miracle Grow or Osmocote for cheap.
"Growmore" is usually the cheapest fertiliser, it is fairly low in nutrients (N : P2O5 : K2O - 7 : 7 : 7) but really cheap ~£20 for 25kg.

* Give up, can't get rid of it, but :p should be a P for phosphorus

cheers Darrel

I put some spaces in there for you Darrel :)

I was just wondering if I could re-purpose my dry salts. I actually bought some miracle grow hosepipe stuff and grass seed last night on the way home and re-seeded it, and a light feed. We'll see how it goes :)

Back