• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

mrtank50

Hello friends.

How to make Micro Element Fertilizer?

products i have
1-Manganese sulfate
2-zinc sulfate
3-Boric acid
4-Copper Sulphate
5-Sodium Molybdete
6-EDTA
7-Ascorbic Acid
8-Hydrochloric Acid
9-Potassium Sorbate

What I did is as follows, but the plants cannot use it, what is the reason?

1-Mn: I add 4 grams of EDTA to 500 ml of distilled water and the pH becomes 11.
I then lower the pH to 3 with ascorbic acid.
Then I water it and add it to my all-in-one fertilizer.

I do all the other trace elements in the same way.

However, plants cannot use the trace element and iron in any way.

What am I doing wrong in micro element construction?

Should I add edta and ascorbic acid or not?

Hi all,
How to make Micro Element Fertilizer?

products i have
1-Manganese sulfate
2-zinc sulfate
3-Boric acid
4-Copper Sulphate
5-Sodium Molybdete
6-EDTA
7-Ascorbic Acid
8-Hydrochloric Acid
9-Potassium Sorbate
You don't need the <"EDTA for the microelement mix">, if it is acidified. You just need it for iron (Fe).
Then I water it and add it to my all-in-one fertilizer.
<"I'd keep it separate">, if you can? and the same with iron FeEDTA. Personally I don't like working with very small weights, or volumes, so I would use <"serial dilution">.

cheers Darrel

1-Mn: I add 4 grams of EDTA to 500 ml of distilled water and the pH becomes 11.
I then lower the pH to 3 with ascorbic acid.
Always acidify the water prior adding anything in it. Don't use tap water. Use RO, distilled or RO/DI.
8-Hydrochloric Acid
This is unnecessary.

If you can, please download the IFC calculator. There are some recommendations in it on how to mix everything together.

Always acidify the water prior adding anything in it. Don't use tap water. Use RO, distilled or RO/DI.

This is unnecessary.

If you can, please download the IFC calculator. There are some recommendations in it on how to mix everything together.
dear hannuman

I am using the IFC calculator.

However, this calculator does not tell you what the pH range should be or how much edta we should add.

That's why it's always confusing.

For example, what should the pH of the solution in the Mn container be?

I use ro water.

Hi all,
or how much edta we should add.
Don't add any to the microelement solution.
For example, what should the pH of the solution in the Mn container be?
Once you are acidic it should be fine, you could aim for pH4, but it would just be an arbitrary value.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Don't add any to the microelement solution.

Once you are acidic it should be fine, you could aim for pH4, but it would just be an arbitrary value.

cheers Darrel
Thank you very much, Darrel.

Can you explain my mistakes by making fertilizer all together with a picture?

First of all, 500 ml of 5 microelement fertilizers.

1-MNSO4 = I will add ascorbic acid to 500 ml of water until the pH drops to 3-4.

2-znSO4 = I will add ascorbic acid to 500 ml of water until the pH drops to 3-4.

3- Boric Acid = I will add ascorbic acid to 500 ml of water until the pH drops to 3-4.

4-CUSO4 = I will add ascorbic acid to 500 ml of water until the pH drops to 3-4.

5-Sodium Molybdete = I will add ascorbic acid to 500 ml of water until the pH drops to 3-4.

The main fertilizer is a 1000 ml container.

First I add 5 grams of edta and 1 gram of ascorbic acid.

The pH of the main fertilizer solution drops to 5.

Then I will add MN-ZN-B-CU-MO in order of dilution.

I will add Iron Dtpa later.

Then I will add Magnesium, Nitrogen, Phosphate, Potassium.

The next main solution color turned light green.
And the pH is around 3.5-4.

Do you think this construction phase is correct?

Hi all,
It maybe a <"zinc (Zn) issue">, I'll copy in @X3NiTH. Have a look at the <"Solubility Rules"> chart.
The main fertilizer is a 1000 ml container.

First I add 5 grams of edta and 1 gram of ascorbic acid.
I don't understand why you are using EDTA, if you have FeDTPA as your iron (Fe) source ?

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
It maybe a <"zinc (Zn) issue">, I'll copy in @X3NiTH

I don't understand why you are using EDTA, if you have FeDTPA as your iron (Fe) source ?

cheers Darrel
So frankly I have no idea.

EDTA is said to bind some elements and is more easily taken up by plants.
I was using edta to prevent the fertilizer from collapsing.

Maybe it's wrong, I have no idea. I will act according to your recommendation.

First of all, 500 ml of 5 microelement fertilizers.

1-MNSO4 = I will add ascorbic acid to 500 ml of water until the pH drops to 3-4.

2-znSO4 = I will add ascorbic acid to 500 ml of water until the pH drops to 3-4.

3- Boric Acid = I will add ascorbic acid to 500 ml of water until the pH drops to 3-4.

4-CUSO4 = I will add ascorbic acid to 500 ml of water until the pH drops to 3-4.

5-Sodium Molybdete = I will add ascorbic acid to 500 ml of water until the pH drops to 3-4.
I don't understand this. Why do you want to make 5 different solutions? Just add everything in one. Only reason to do this would be to make a serial dilution but again this is not necessary for all traces. I would say only for Cu, Mo and Ni and you don't need to make 500ml of each. Perhaps only 100ml would be enough. It would last you a life time. Use the DIYTraceCalculator Sheet in the IFC calculator to figure out weights.

First I add 5 grams of edta
As mentioned by @dw1305. This is totally unnecessary since you are using FeDTAP.

Let's get down to brass tacks now.

This is how you should do it IMO. Considering you are still experimenting with DIY fertilizer I suggest you separate MACROS and MICROS in 2 separate containers.
Container 1: MACROS: 1L
  • add 0.5g Ascorbic Acid + 0.4gr Potassium sorbate (these 2 are not that important in the macros but I prefer to have the mixture acidified anyway).
  • Add all your macros. There is little important in the order in which you add them

Container 2: MICROS: 1L
  • add 0.5g Ascorbic Acid + 0.4gr Potassium sorbate. Now,
  • ① Add Zinc first as it can precipitate if the water is not properly acidified (re-acidifying the water results in Zinc oxidizing and becoming plant unavailable)
  • ② Manganese next as it is generally the next heaviest mass of compound to add
  • ③ then Boric Acid
  • ④ then Copper
  • ⑤ then Sodium Molybdate
  • ⑥ then Nickel
  • ⑦ then Cobalt (not really important if you don't have)
  • ⑧ Last Iron because it will change the color of the mixture and masks any potential precipitate formation from other compounds.

Thank to @X3NiTH for having provided the order.

Hanuman, thank you very much for your valuable information.

I learned very valuable information.

Can I add these micro element and macro element fertilizers to the aquarium on the same day?

Aquarium pH 6.0

So, isn't there an easy way to make these fertilizers together?
I have 9-10 tanks, dosing separately makes me tired.

Can I add these micro element and macro element fertilizers to the aquarium on the same day?
You could or you could also alternate.

So, isn't there an easy way to make these fertilizers together?
I have 9-10 tanks, dosing separately makes me tired.
If you are adamant to do an AIO fertilizer I would advise the following:
  • don't make a fertilizer that is too concentrated
  • use FeDTPA 11%
Read this:
and this (topic that you actually created):
and this:

Container 1: MACROS: 1L
  • add 0.5g Ascorbic Acid + 0.4gr Potassium sorbate (these 2 are not that important in the macros but I prefer to have the mixture acidified anyway).
Potassium sorbate is an antimicrobial agent. It works best in acidic solution (about 5 or lower).
Ascorbic acid is an acidifier, but first of all, an antioxidant. The only use I can think of is keeping iron and manganese in divalent (reduced) form. Obviously, it's redundant in macroelement stock solutions. But microbes love it. So, if you want to acidify a solution to keep potassium sorbate effective, any mineral acid will do a better job.
If your macros' blend contains a phosphate AND either magnesium of calcium, I don't see how you prevent creating a precipitate: MgHPO4 or CaHPO4 (or worse Ca3(PO4)2).
Cobalt (not really important if you don't have)
Yes, cobalt is an essential element only for cyanobacteria, if you need them. Interestingly enough, cyanobacteria regularly appear even if you don't ever dose cobalt. From that can be derived that any care for cobalt availability is a waste of effort.
The same can be said on molybdenum and nickel. It's practically impossible to make a tank with those two nano-nutrients in deficiency.

I'd like to add that chelating boron and molybdenum is impossible.

I sometime use this Product to lower the PH and it also provides P as well. I have an all in one solution that contain Ca, Mg as well while using this product. am currently waiting and observing to see how stable the solution remains.

Last edited:
Back