• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY led fixture nano tanks

parotet

Hi all

Not sure if this is a too much open question (for sure it is a non-expert question) but I'm toying with the idea of doing a LED fixture for a nano tank. I learn here everyday plenty of things about chemistry, physiology, plants, equipment and so on, so... why not developing my poor DIY skills?

I would like something small for a 24 liters cube (already have LED light: Eheim PowerLed 7w, a group of small SMD type LED, no hurry for this) or future small tanks (30-40 liters: in the future, so plenty of time to learn). There are two reasons for focusing on small fixtures:

- I would like to avoid big fixtures/heatsinks with vents... I would prefer slim heatsinks with no fans (AquaSky type) that could be mounted on the tank.
- I would like something cheap (if I have to pay 75+ bucks for materials, I'd rather go to the LFS and purchase a nice one already built)
... if I can ask more, I would like to keep it easy (solderless? if not, at least easy)

Well I'm sure that's what everyone wants, isn't it? I have read some previous threads and I have seen that most of the LEDs used for such small setups are 3W... probably 3 or 4 would be more than enough (needing a dimming system probably) BUT I have also seen that most of the LED fixtures that do not use fans use 0,4w LEDS just mounted on a slim heatsink (again as an example AquaSky)

My question is: is it that difficult/expensive to build something like this?

Jordi

Hi Supercoley

Have you also transformed the beamworks unit in your tank or are you using the original fixture? Some pictures would be appreciated to have a better idea about the final result.

Jordi

Have you thought of making your own.. 5630 or 5050 strip LEDS work well and mounted on aluminium tracks as a heatsink ?

Hi Supercoley

Have you also transformed the beamworks unit in your tank or are you using the original fixture? Some pictures would be appreciated to have a better idea about the final result.

Jordi

I have one over my little tank. The only 'transformation' I made was to replace the lenses and bottom cover with a clear plastic perspex panel. I'll take some pictures and post them up at some point this weekend.

Hi Jordi,

If you are comfortable and have basic electrical skills you can construct an LED fitting at a very good price, I have made mine with dimmable power supply,

Best to use Cree xpg r5 less very reliable and bright at a cheap price, these are 5 watt and can be dimmed to the required brightness, simply wire in series to the power supply use self adhesive thermal tape to the heat sink,

I've made 3 units with 10 less in each, each one cost approximately £30 to make....

Chris

94b768cec4d1ca64f0500ee730462023.jpg

Use gu10 LEDs ,

Cheap , and easy to set up .
I have mine running through a trailing edge dimmer switch
19a027150de89b7ccdfdbc68ff24ac75.jpg

The dimmable bulbs cost £3.00 each .
The dimmer cost £9

The bulbs are gu10 LEDs 3x4 watt 7000k 60 degree lenses.
Hope this helps

Picture of the adapted beamswork unit as promised. It is over a 30 litre tank. It has 3 settings. Single row, All 3 rows and off, so you can use it as high light or low light:

IMG_1028.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

Hi all

thank you very much for your contribution!

Have you thought of making your own.. 5630 or 5050 strip LEDS work well and mounted on aluminium tracks as a heatsink ?
I may be wrong but people report in forums quite bad experiences with LED strips: low light, poor performance in the midterm, etc. Have you any positive experience using them?

Best to use Cree xpg r5 less very reliable and bright at a cheap price, these are 5 watt and can be dimmed to the required brightness, simply wire in series to the power supply use self adhesive thermal tape to the heat sink,
I've made 3 units with 10 less in each, each one cost approximately £30 to make....
Chris
I guess 5 watt LED will need not only a large heatsink but also a fan, ins't it? I'm looking for something thinner, this is why I was asking for experiences with low watt LEDs. Anyway prices you mention seem very interesting. Where are you buying all this stuff?

@Samjpikey, this is a very practical solution. Thank you, I'll keep it in mind

@SuperColey1, thanks for the pictures. Looks a very good solution also. Would you say that 9x1w leds in that fixture would deliver medium or high light?

I have also found this: http://www.blau-aquaristic.com/nano-led-light.html. It costs around 40 euros. It comes with a 2-channel dimmeable device. Searching for reviews in forums, reef guys (there is a reef version) mention that each unit only is able to cover properly a 25x25cm surface (around 30 cm depth), but these guys use plenty of light so I asume that a 11 watts fixture with 24 leds should be far enough for a nano cube.

Jordi

Hi all

thank you very much for your contribution!

I may be wrong but people report in forums quite bad experiences with LED strips: low light, poor performance in the midterm, etc. Have you any positive experience using them?

LED strips are no good for lighting a planted aquarium. You would needs loads of them to match high powered LEDs and that would mean cost as well as a much bigger footprint. I use these strips for back lighting (Ones I can choose colours from the remote) 3metres of strip on a board that I would normally use behind my 30 litre can only just match the 3W of the BeamsWork. If I turn it on to the 9W you can't see the backlighting.

@Samjpikey, this is a very practical solution. Thank you, I'll keep it in mind
I use these on all my non display setups. They work well and is very easy to setup.

@SuperColey1, thanks for the pictures. Looks a very good solution also. Would you say that 9x1w leds in that fixture would deliver medium or high light? [/quote]

That is a subjective question. lol. How big is the tank it is over? how deep is it? Over mine the 3W is pretty low but fine for low light plants/mosses. The 9W is high light and without CO2 and care it turns into a BBA and thread algae fest in the space of a week.

I have also found this: http://www.blau-aquaristic.com/nano-led-light.html. It costs around 40 euros. It comes with a 2-channel dimmeable device. Searching for reviews in forums, reef guys (there is a reef version) mention that each unit only is able to cover properly a 25x25cm surface (around 30 cm depth), but these guys use plenty of light so I asume that a 11 watts fixture with 24 leds should be far enough for a nano cube.

Looks nice. Is it new? Can't find many reviews on it.

That is a subjective question. lol. How big is the tank it is over? how deep is it? Over mine the 3W is pretty low but fine for low light plants/mosses. The 9W is high light and without CO2 and care it turns into a BBA and thread algae fest in the space of a week
Algae fest without Co2 means enough light :) The tank is similar to yours, maybe smaller (25 liters, 25 cn depth)

Looks nice. Is it new? Can't find many reviews on it.
Not new (actually the second generation of this light), as you can see in their website it is a Spanish company based in Barcelona and focused on marine tanks but that also produces items for fresh water aquarium. I have only tested their nano heaters that work very well (and are really nano in size). In general good reviews for most of their ítems.

Jordi

I have also built an led light using 1watt bridelux LEDs on starboard, soldering , heatsink and meanwell driver etc.
I had 28 x1 watt LEDs over my 125 liter and it was just to much .
If you do go down that route then I defiantly recommend getting a driver that is dimmable.

Cheers

Back