• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY lightscreen project

NiteshAquascaper

Here is my DIY lightscreen similar to Ada one.
My Tank dimensions is regular 60P aquarium.

Attachments

• IMG_20210301_205852.jpg
    IMG_20210301_205852.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,831
  • IMG_20210301_205323.jpg
    IMG_20210301_205323.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 852
  • IMG_20210301_195907.jpg
    IMG_20210301_195907.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 824
  • IMG_20210226_174742.jpg
    IMG_20210226_174742.jpg
    898.5 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_20210226_174749.jpg
    IMG_20210226_174749.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 760
that looks good! What have you used as diffuser? Interesting that you've gone all the way around withe the led's... what spec are they? (12v, 5v? ) What depth have you made the foam board, and how far in is the led strip? Is there foam board panel on the back also to deflect the light?
Thanks

Here is mine: Link

The foam depth is around 2.5inch. Also i already have used frosted glass, i added one more layer of frost and put the led light back close to background foam. Yes i have pasted vinyl sticker on foam board to reflect light.

that looks good! What have you used as diffuser? Interesting that you've gone all the way around withe the led's... what spec are they? (12v, 5v? ) What depth have you made the foam board, and how far in is the led strip? Is there foam board panel on the back also to deflect the light?
Thanks

Here is mine: Link
Yours is also looking great, 😊👍

@Wookii the background is solid amd covered all around. I think once i have top light in place, taking photo with both the lights it will look different

Attachments

• IMG_20210301_205320_1.jpg
    IMG_20210301_205320_1.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 787
if you get a busted flat screen tv, you will find a fresnel lens and diffusion layers which will totally eliminate any hotspots, you'll just get a nice clean even sheet of light. it should also act somewhat like daylight too

I've been meaning for some time to try and get hold of an old screen and tear it apart to see if I could get one of those.

I've been meaning for some time to try and get hold of an old screen and tear it apart to see if I could get one of those.
have you tried searching for 'light panel'/'led panel'/'ceiling light panel' and your tanks back glass dimensions into google e.g. '120cm x60cm' led panel? They are actually pretty common i've found and fair few places, in the UK anyways, makes custom sizes too. Amazon even had some Amazon product ASIN B077VTWQK5

Last edited:
have you tried searching for 'light panel'/'led panel'/'ceiling light panel' and your tanks back glass dimensions into google e.g. '120cm x60cm' led panel? They are actually pretty common i've found and fair few places, in the UK anyways, makes custom sizes too. Amazon even had some Amazon product ASIN B077VTWQK5

I have yes, but I haven't been able to find one at 600 x 400 and was frameless (or at least with a frame of less than 8mm), and I was never sure that were all the edge lit type with the diffusion layers, rather than being directly back lit - though those Amazon ones certainly look like it.

I didn't manage to find anywhere that did one off custom ones though - do you have any links to those suppliers?

Edit: I've also not been successful in finding a supplier of the appropriate coloured films.

For coloured films try looking at Stage lighting colour filters.

A reasonable supplier that I use is Colour Filter & Gel - Lighting - Sales - Stage Electrics

For coloured films try looking at Stage lighting colour filters.

A reasonable supplier that I use is Colour Filter & Gel - Lighting - Sales - Stage Electrics

Thanks for those links - but I can't see any gradient/graduated films that run from, say, blue to clear like those typically sold with branded aquarium back lights.

Took delivery of a Lightground backlight recently after giving up on a DIY effort, so I had to check how is was made. For future DIY'ers, the layer are as follows:

Rear panel: Solid reflective matt finish white perspex - about 3mm thick
Middle panel: Clear perspex with small (approx 1mm) dots etched into the surface of the rear (about 5mm spacing) - about 6mm thick
Front panel: Opaque/frosted perspex - about 3mm thick

LED: 5mm wide rigid strip of 12v high output LEDs to the top and bottom of the panel connected in series via a two core cable down one side.

Back