• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Optiwhite tank build

What are you using to strip the silicon back with? i use one of these,
s-l500.jpg

I use a dab of nail polish remover to take off any residue that left.

yes something like that, for getting paint off glass, I think it has a Stanley blade inside. using 99% alcohol after to clean it up.

You must trim any silicone as thin as possible, using a sharp knife first. I then wipe with IPA/meths for ensure 100% dry. Then apply remover and go for a couple of cups of tea.

When you come back just use a non metal scraper, nylon pot scrubber etc to remove the now loose silicone "film".

Wash with water. Water deactivates the remover.

Dry, clean with IPA/meths, apply masking tape, apply silicone, smooth away with your favourite tool and/or finger soaked in Fairy liquid solution. Job done.

Soudal (at some B&Q's) also sell a silicone remover which I have used a couple of times. Similar results to Screw fix stuff.

ok cool, ill give it another go. will need to use it on the cut face to get the remains of the silicone off. the flat surfaces are not too much of a problem

gave the silicone remover a go, put loads on there and it worked much better, got it all cleaned off and had another go. third pane back in place and properly aligned this time.

All four sides are in now, just need to do the sides. So just two more silicone sessions to do, test for leaks, trim the excess, clean it up, then it’s done.

98D838C3-1E50-41A6-859C-B53F4470244C.jpeg

Sorry for the slow progress on this. It should be done by now but work sucking the life out of me like a hungry vampire has caused me to be lazy after 5 on a week day. Got a day off today and done one side edge. Just the other side to do which I’ll hopefully do tomorrow morning. After that the hard work is done.

Attachments

• 346C7132-C6B2-4243-99B3-9C15B15CF8D3.jpeg
    346C7132-C6B2-4243-99B3-9C15B15CF8D3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 104
The tank is all complete and sealed up, but I’m not happy with the finish on the front panel. It could be better. It is sound and tidy but looking up close there are some tiny bubbles in the silicone. I don’t really want to compromise on the finish of this tank so I’m going to pull the front pane out, clean off all the silicone and redo it.
C80AA6A6-B4FB-4B64-972C-255B1412548C.jpeg

C192D651-BFE9-46BF-9FBA-F31EB042A471.jpeg

Redone it and got the seams bubble free this time. Before I was laying a bead of silicone on the edge then pressing the glass together and holding with a right angle clamp.

Tried something different this time, I clamped it up then run a bead in the seam and pressed the silicone in the gap with my finger. By doing this i could see the bubbles and press silicone in until they came out the other side. Once the gap is nicely filled just swipe up the seam with a grout tool and it’s a clean finish.

In retrospect I should have done this on the whole tank but only worked it out at this stage. It wastes slightly more silicone but it gets you a better finish. Would almost go so far as to say a perfect finish.

6B1E8388-9F56-49DD-BE29-566E311473F1.jpeg

Redone the last bits and now on to the leak testing. I stick a piece of brown paper down under the tank as it shows up the water if it leaks, if it has a leak it will show up pretty much immediately. Normally they leak in one of the bottom corners but I made a point of plugging these up. Luckily, no leaks!

Been sitting about half an hour and I’ve given some firm taps on all the sides to see if it will give out and it’s all stayed together. Which is nice.

Most importantly there is barely any bow in the glass, this is what prompted me to strip the original build of this tank and reduce the height. Measured about 1mm which is acceptable, I think all tanks bow by that amount.

Just need to cut off all the excess silicone and scrape off any remains.

Taken a month but I have been careful with letting every thing cure over a long enough period before moving to the next bit. I have done tanks with this set up before over a weekend with no problems. If you leave a few hours for the silicone to set you can usually move to the next part with no issues.

C7974535-AC65-46DB-9B42-D820EFA2D375.jpeg

The tank is now finished. Given the glass a clean and scraped the traces of silicone off. The excess all trimmed off and looking better for it. The excess is quite important, should you try this yourself make sure you have excess silicone along the whole length of the seam, when you slice it off you’ll get a nice and continuous clean cut.

B1352DFF-C300-402B-B03B-B4E99DB6EB72.jpeg

BB0883AA-3A90-4C49-B18C-437589E14E09.jpeg

Last edited:
Back