• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Planter

Usually I would go for moist but not in standing water - but that's general growing stuff rather than specific to this plant though. You should find with the cover over having watered it once it will stay moist a long time.

My logic was that this is a bog plant generally submerged in water? The cutting has been sitting in the tank a few weeks and already has one big main root. Not sure if coming from unlimited water to moist soil is good or bad so thought water half way up the soil might benefit, not sure now.

Are you planning to keep the plant dry or wet long term? I say that because lots of the sulking you see when adding plants to a riparium is because the roots are adjusting to being underwater and you see lots of the dryer root system die off before being replaced. So I'm not sure whether we see different root growth for different soil moisture levels.

Nice one, on the subject of drilling I found that the pots could shatter quite easily

Find a cheap small soldering iron with a round pointed tip and melt the holes in. :) No pressure, Nothing to shatter. :thumbup: A large nail heated on the stove does too of course.
But soldering iron than you have a 2 in 1 tool, you never know..

Are you planning to keep the plant dry or wet long term?

Hiya mate, I'm planning on keeping this cutting in soil only permanently. I figured fill the pot up with water and let this evaporate or plant drink it away so the cutting goes from one stage to the other gradually. Sort of like a pond drying up like a bog would at certain times? Not sure if that makes any sense.

Hiya mate, I'm planning on keeping this cutting in soil only permanently. I figured fill the pot up with water and let this evaporate or plant drink it away so the cutting goes from one stage to the other gradually. Sort of like a pond drying up like a bog would at certain times? Not sure if that makes any sense.

Makes sense. It will live quite happily in surprisingly dry conditions as well so you shouldn't need to keep it that wet to begin with.

What about Umbrella plants? Where I was working today they had quite a large one in the corridor which was in serious need of a trim so I helped them out :rolleyes: I've just placed the cutting in the top of the tank for now until I work out what to do with it.

What about Umbrella plants?

Buy one in the garden centre for a few Euros and put the plant outdoor in the summer in a sunny spot, it'll flower and produce seeds.. Lots of seeds, its a grass sp.
dscf9171-jpg.jpg

Than sow these seeds again and wait for it to grow, than you'll have very young Cyperus to grow in your aquarium planter. That way you can enjoy it a bit more and longer and easier managable keeping it in suitable size. :)

This is in a pot with a palm tree in my garden, all young Umbrella plants from seeds fallen in.
DSC_0214.jpg

Took a bit out and planted it above tha tank in a small planter. :) It still is hidden behind teh fern and needs to grow.
DSC_0220.jpg

But it will not survive a freezing winter outdoors.. Than you need to take it in..

Btw i still have a load off seeds, if you want some PM me your address i can send you some. :)

Last edited:
We talking the same plant mate? Mine looks like this...
green-umbrella-plant-Schefflera.jpg

We talking the same plant mate? Mine looks like this...
View attachment 117098

No we are not. :rolleyes:. Cyperus grass is also called Umbrella plant, i guess common names is a regional thing.. Your's is the Schefflera i guess. Isn't that Umbrella tree? Quite i big boy for an open top tank don't you think? I also have one in the living room almost 2 metre tall..

edit:
https://www.ourhouseplants.com/plants/umbrella-plant-schefflera
It's not to be confused with Cyperus which is another type of Umbrella Plant altogether.

Haha yeah, might be a bit heavy for a tank. I was just meaning would leaving it in some water until roots establish like I did with the Pothos and Peace lilly work or does the cutting need to go straight into some soil?

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Having said that, I'm sure I seen something on Walsted that said that you can plant it directly into the substrate as long as the top portion was out the water

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

In principle you could do that, aqaurium soil is not only much different as normal potting soil. In potting soil on the window sil is always said keep it moist but not too wett. Because the soil is much to compact when soaking wet, stagnant and prevents aeration and susceptible to all kinds of fungus and can cause rot. In an aqaurium with a completely different soil in water with turn over it will not have this issue. Than any plant that grows riparian or as bog plant in nature could survive like that. I think <Pachira aqautica> is also such a tree.. Simmular leaf as the sheflera and might be a tad easier to maintane, but in the end also to big. These are not plants for long term projects i think, a few years and they might crack the tank.. :)

Back