• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY Reactor - pictures, assembly and testing

Dan Crawford said:
Ed Seeley said:
I want to get them done and sent off now as the delays are starting to get on my nerves, never mind the guys waiting for them! I'm sorry to all of you.
I know that feelin' brother! A big pat on the back from me for doing it, they look great!

I have to mirror this, pls don't feel pressured from our end. You are doing us a MASSIVE favour and i at least am vastly enjoying this journal. Add to that the usefulness of this piece of writing to others wanting to do the same in the future, you are doing good work.

Best Regards,

John

There is no rush Ed I wouldn't be getting one if you were not to make them anyway, so I can wait as long as it takes to get all ready. Best to wait and get something that will work properly or get it done in a rush and then it leaking. Great work mate :)

LondonDragon said:
There is no rush Ed I wouldn't be getting one if you were not to make them anyway, so I can wait as long as it takes to get all ready.
Ditto.

Though I can imagine you're getting to the stage where you just want rid of all the bits sculling around your place! :lol:

I just want to say that when I built my DIY reactor it took me a few attempts to get it right. At times it was exceptionally frustrating :twisted: . Seeing how effective it was afterwards made it worth all the effort ;) So hang in there Ed! :D

I've got to get a conservatory built to house some existing furnature from the living and then get the new tank into the living room without the wife noticing. She loves the tanks when setup, but hates to see me working at them!

No rush for me or the wife. If you could send 10mm at a time she wouldn't notice the gradual change.

I'm just about to procure a new external to run this on (TT EX1200) and will probably run it in my existing 2 footer initially. I've not had an external (filter) before so maybe I should get this up and running and understand the full workings of it before adding a reactor (OK, I understand the basics and its not too difficult is it??).

Either way ED, no rush for me!

Cheers all of you. Good to know you're not all sitting there fuming with the delays! I'll get them right and get them done soon, but better right and a couple of weeks late than rushed out and leaking!

I just caught the spam post before it was deleted, otherwise I'd have been a bit worried about Ed and purses! :lol:

I didn't catch the spam and am slightly worried!!! :wideyed: :lol: Definitely no purses here, no! :lol:

As to the Aquamas reactor Aeropars I'm not too sure with that as I believe it's a much shorter reactor than the ones I'm making. Maybe you will need the mesh to help slow the flow more rapidly? IF you don't want it there for some reason then I would try removing it and see what happens. Or maybe you could reduce or replace the netting with bioballs or something instead? What's the problem with putting the mesh in? Do you think it slows the flow?

Ed Seeley said:
I didn't catch the spam and am slightly worried!!! :wideyed: :lol: Definitely no purses here, no! :lol:
Me neither and now I'm intrigued!

Ed,

I'm not really sure. My reactor doesnt diffuse very well and i am wondering if its because the flow is interrupted too much. It also restricts the upward movement of the CO2 bubbles making them more inclined to get stuck then blown out the filter outlet. I'm using a ceramic diffuser at the moment but want to give the aquamas reactor another go as I beleive it would be more efficient and would also me more asthetic without the bubbles blowing around the tank.

Lee

Does the CO2 bubble straight into the reactor? If so maybe you could try injecting the CO2 into the flow of the water before it reaches the reactor as it will have already started to mix then and might do a better job?

Simon D said:
No rush for me or the wife. If you could send 10mm at a time she wouldn't notice the gradual change.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I laughed out loud when I read this.

Ed you can add the venturi loop to this by addign another air valve about 6 cm down to atomize the gas build up inside later in the day, this will improve overall performance and reduce backpressure.

See my web site on the dual venturi in line.

Regards,
Tom Barr

plantbrain said:
Ed you can add the venturi loop to this by addign another air valve about 6 cm down to atomize the gas build up inside later in the day, this will improve overall performance and reduce backpressure.

See my web site on the dual venturi in line.

Regards,
Tom Barr

I am a big fan of Tom's venturi loop design. It works great as an 'automated bleed valve' as well.
I have found that it does need a high flow rate to work effectively (in proportion to the size of the reactor of course).

Ed Seeley said:
Does the CO2 bubble straight into the reactor? If so maybe you could try injecting the CO2 into the flow of the water before it reaches the reactor as it will have already started to mix then and might do a better job?

Yeah iot goes in at the bottom of the reactor so the bubble rises against the flow of the water.

Back