• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY Reactor - pictures, assembly and testing

plantbrain said:
Ed you can add the venturi loop to this by addign another air valve about 6 cm down to atomize the gas build up inside later in the day, this will improve overall performance and reduce backpressure.

See my web site on the dual venturi in line.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Yeah you could Tom, but I have to say that, in my experience, it just doesn't need it! The water coming in vertically dissolves/diffuses the gas at the top brilliantly as it comes through the any air bubble and drags it back in. I never got a gas build up in normal use, only a small amount after it was cleaned. However it might be an idea for the one I'm building with a bend at the top if the gas collecting there is an issue.

Aeropars said:
Ed Seeley said:
Does the CO2 bubble straight into the reactor? If so maybe you could try injecting the CO2 into the flow of the water before it reaches the reactor as it will have already started to mix then and might do a better job?

Yeah iot goes in at the bottom of the reactor so the bubble rises against the flow of the water.

IMHO that's a rubbish way to get the CO2 into the water. What you end up with is one large bubble flowing up against the water and slowly dissolving. Much better to get it mixed up with the water as it enters the reactor. Is there anyway you could maybe use an airstone on the CO2 feed to get smaller bubbles? Limewood should last well.

Ed Seeley said:
Aeropars said:
Ed Seeley said:
Does the CO2 bubble straight into the reactor? If so maybe you could try injecting the CO2 into the flow of the water before it reaches the reactor as it will have already started to mix then and might do a better job?

Yeah iot goes in at the bottom of the reactor so the bubble rises against the flow of the water.

IMHO that's a rubbish way to get the CO2 into the water. What you end up with is one large bubble flowing up against the water and slowly dissolving. Much better to get it mixed up with the water as it enters the reactor. Is there anyway you could maybe use an airstone on the CO2 feed to get smaller bubbles? Limewood should last well.

Not easily, I tried on mine (I have one too) - the CO2 inlet is right at the bottom of the 40cm tube and I've not found a way to push an airtube onto it.

Aeropars - I'm surprised you say its not effective - my Aquamas is super efficient & dissolves CO2 exactly the same as Ed describes his. What flow rate are you putting through it? You are putting the flow in at the top and out the bottom with the CO2 bubbles rising against the flow?

I seem to remember having this conversation before. The Aquamas reactors work really well if you have a decent flow going through them. I have no problem getting a bright yellow drop checker on my 200 litre tank just by turning the bubble rate up a bit. The green filter type material is required so don't remove it or an air pocket tends to build up. I can see the bubbles raising slowly to the top and actually see them decrease in size as they go. By the time they are at the top they have basically vanished. If you are getting a large build up of gas it is becasue your flow isn't up to scratch.

James

I think thats the problem. I'm putting through 950 PLH from my Eheim pro 2 which I dont htink is quite enough for this to work well. Its below the 10x flow for my tank and as such I've added a Koralia to increase the flow. The bubbles in my reactor seem to rise pretty quickly against the flow so I assume the pressure to keep them down are not sufficient.

I'd be interested to know what LPH other people put through theirs.

Lee

I've just got an old Eheim 2028 Pro II on mine. Pump output is 1050 lph and filter circulation is 750lph.

James

Aeropars said:
I think thats the problem. I'm putting through 950 PLH from my Eheim pro 2 which I dont htink is quite enough for this to work well. Its below the 10x flow for my tank and as such I've added a Koralia to increase the flow. The bubbles in my reactor seem to rise pretty quickly against the flow so I assume the pressure to keep them down are not sufficient.

I'd be interested to know what LPH other people put through theirs.

Lee

Hi Lee

Im useing a Tetratec EX1200 on my external reactor, similar to the one Ed here has made and its the only filter that has worked perfectly for me on this reactor. Up to this I had used less powerful filters on the same reactor and had CO2 buildup etc in the reactor chamber, since I added the extra flow with the tetratec the reactor has worked great, no CO2 buildup, totally silent, very efficient. So adding some extra flow should definitely solve your problem IMHO.

JamesM said:
Any updates, Ed?

I'm afraid I haven't had a moment for the past 2 weeks to do anything. I've got a huge amount on at the moment. I'm still hoping to get them done soon, but I need to have an afternoon to sort things out first.

Ahh, never thought of that! Also, if you don't mind me asking, where did you order all the other bits from?

Piemonster said:
Ahh, never thought of that! Also, if you don't mind me asking, where did you order all the other bits from?

I ordered parts from various places. Pipe and fittings were from Hendersons Plastic, Pisces Engineering with hosetails and threaded fittings from LBS Garden warehouse. I ordered the tee fittings from TA Aquaculture.

Cheers buddy, seems like the main issue is finding the piping itself then, at least in lengths under 5m that is...

Piemonster said:
Cheers buddy, seems like the main issue is finding the piping itself then, at least in lengths under 5m that is...

Yep! And small valves that don't leak!

hi Ed,
once you've done these are you likely to do more,or is it to stressful.
thanks
neil

nelson said:
hi Ed,
once you've done these are you likely to do more,or is it to stressful.
thanks
neil

I might well do some more if I can get these done! It's not stress thank to everyone being so understanding about the delays but it is time-consuming.

BTW all of you waiting I am waiting on the tees and new bleed valves but will have them done by the end of the Easter holiday.

Back