• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Root tablets with Osmocote advice needed.

Katfish

It is time for me to to redose my root tablets and have been looking at Osmocote on other sites about making them myself with gel Capsules.

Has anybody got experiencing with osmocote ?

If so did it have any bad effects ?

Which band did you use ?

How much osmoncote do you recommend per capsule?

Any other info that would be of help.

I have also found this one (Osmocote Pro) this is the break down of what is in it.
16% Nitrogen Total (N)

6.5% Nitrate nitrogen (NO3-N)
8.5% Ammoniacal nitrogen (NH4-N)
1.0% Urea nitrogen (Ur-N)

11% Phosphorus pentoxide (P2O5)

8.3% Water soluble

10% Potassium oxide (K2O)

10.0% Water soluble

2.0% Magnesium oxide (MgO)
0.30% Iron (Fe)

0.06% Water soluble
0.06% Chelated by EDTA

0.04% Manganese (Mn)

0.02% Water soluble

0.01% Boron (B)

0.01% Water soluble

0.040% Copper (Cu)

0.030% Water soluble
0.040% Chelated by EDTA

0.015% Molybdenum (Mo)

0.015% Water soluble

0.010% Zinc (Zn)

0.007% Water soluble

Is it safe to use?

yes is cheaper to freeze but very quick to melt and being a 30" deep tank etc I am worried that some might come loose b 4 I get them in the substrate etc.

Also gel caps would cost me £2 for 100 of them which would keep me going for years.

All I need to know is what to fill them with

Hi all,
Just roll the Osmocote pellets in some clay, marble sized balls/sausages are fine, leave it to dry over 48 hours, you can then push these into the substrate without any problem, and you have quite a long "window of opportunity", before the pellets disintergrate.

You can use any controlled release (or slow release) fertiliser, I've used "Growmore" or "VitaxQ4" successfully and they are cheaper options than Osmocote.

"Growmore" is really cheap, has 7:7:7 N:p2O5:K2O, but doesn't contain any micro-nutrients, and works really well, details here: <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=11&t=24565>.

cheers Darrel

Back