• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Twinstar thoughts?

TooFunky

Seedling
Hi guys, I've been a long time follower of this forum.
And recently I've been tasked with building a DIY Twinstar.
Just wondering what your thoughts are on the twinstars in general.
No doubt someone is going to say with regular tank maintenance you shouldn't need one so let's skip that bit and look beyond it.
Some people can't help getting build ups and blooms, be it bad lighting, tank location or otherwise.

All the Twinstars are, are electrolysis machines, with a fancy box that's a power supply and timer.

I've recently joined a Indonesian Facebook page and these guys are making them from bit of stainless mesh and phone chargers. Someone even made one from 2 spoons....

So I'd like to here your opinions on the process and if you think it's effective against algae.

Here are some pics from the Indonesians Facebook group.

I look forward to hearing your input guys.

a20e33f71294431d5fff333d9fedfdd7.jpg

2bdb37be85913ebe58271dd3d2cb4331.jpg

02572012715110281fd6ca5c4442a1ef.jpg

c0f83fc6077bfcbf4167e89f1216548e.jpg

067fdc20315954d2cd2f93a674d4a4c2.jpg

30fbeaa3db6ade336298ed7ab01ca1eb.jpg

d41220aec112c01087a41e1e82eaecc4.jpg

abb4d77bbcde01f8ad4d078f37d47973.jpg

438418c1e3732af1275dc8c597e5fd25.jpg

8b8cdf3dbf57724095127326dcd334f3.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to have a go at a diy one, any more info on how to? The last unit looks pretty slick. Are they as effective as the real thing?

The real ones use expensive metals as mesh with the sounds of it.
But from random topics I've found they seem to wear out faster and people were saying that spare mesh is hard to come by.

Seems easier to get a sheet of stainless mesh off ebay and cut it to size. But I'm not sure if it's safe to use stainless as I've heard that some blends can give off harmful by products.

The Indonesians are using plastic drainpipes as the holders, and spacers between the 2 electrodes. I agree, they do look pretty good for a diy product.

It looks easy to make, one mesh is positive and the other negative.
The electrolysis creates hydrogen and oxygen micro bubbles. They are run on a timer.

Thanks Tori, I found the second one but it seems to have died.
The first link is interesting though. Using magnesium to prolong the life of the other electrode.

A well maintained tank blah blah blah.,correct light levels blah blah.
Joking aside, I been thinking of this but couldn't afford to buy one to cannibalise:D good idea, and I'm goung to have a go, my shed is full of old tat wire etc, if it helps a bit and has cost pence to make let's get some knocked up, most of us must have at least one old phone charger kicking around. I like the one made from the florescent starter.Great thread cheers. If it doesn't work on the tank algae maybe we can cheaply get rid of unwanted hair,not that I'm hairy or anything.

Last edited:
Well guys, the Indonesians have escalated things....

Old fly zapper. Maybe a bit over kill though :p

4f9b28e6afa187b7845ae1bdedd1e05b.jpg

3D printed parts.

ac4ca4ea77f230a887e4fefcbed95418.jpg

Glad people are in board with this. I'm going to have a look on ebay later to see if I can get stainless mesh. I think this will give a better reaction because of the surface area.

You can get electronic timers that do minute intervals too.

Cannot remember the seller but I was buying a4 sized Ss mesh marine grade very cheap on the bay. I think there may be a thread somewhere here. That racket is plain nasty I'd rather look at the algae.:D Come on then own up. Who has a 3d printer on here.?:)

I agree that racket is nasty.
Bet I gets a right boil on when it's running hahaha.

Hello this is interesting and will be happy to help. By the looks of the pictures the printed parts should be east to produce. Im not sure i fully underetand how the device works but if we cab decide on a design/size we would like to replicate i would be more than happy to have a go printing the parts. Thanks.Andy

Should be fine Greebfingers.
200ma is less than 2A.
Some of the indo guys have Got results from as little as 150ma.
I'd be more worried about the fish getting zapped than the house

Thanks for the offer R32syd.
Whats the best thing you've printed so far?

We already tested the Twinstar using oscilloscope also. You can look at the results here: www.prirodni-akvarium.cz (it's Czech site, so use Google Translate).
I would like to emphasize that the original Twinstar uses titanium mesh coated with platinum, which is the main difference over the DIY versions. If I would do electrolysis in my tank, I would never use anything else then platinum, as normal metals produce undesired byproducts.

List so far. 1). 3d printer. 2). South African miner. This is getting more expensive than a twinstar.:D

Not convinced the DIY people are getting 100% right after reading the Czech site. Though who knows what "right" is.

1. The Twinstar mesh is most likely platinum coated titanium. This is freely available in industry as a catalyst. http://www.goodfellow.com/catalogue...3NFidMkb18CI&n=mycpXcVljszEkNeraMX5ESMiJM3MT7. Issue here is £330 for 100mm x 100m piece.:eek:

2. Can't see any reason stainless mesh can't be used, the patents on electrolysis of sewerage and dirty water, I have seen, use replaceable stainless meshes.

3. The voltage applied needs to be AC or at least DC then reversed DC. Again some of the patents refer to passing DC, then passing pulsed DC in reverse (the pulsed bit is something to do with electrode protection ?). The amount of current needs to be controlled to cope with different water conditions.

Yey bubbles!
So, last year people wasted their time with diy led lamps, this year with twinstar copies, I'm wondering what's next ... :)
Snake oil alert: IMHO this piece of crap falls into the undergravel heaters and alike category, fancy but totally useless.

3. The voltage applied needs to be AC or at least DC then reversed DC. Again some of the patents refer to passing DC, then passing pulsed DC in reverse (the pulsed bit is something to do with electrode protection ?). The amount of current needs to be controlled to cope with different water conditions.
This will alternate which electrode is the anode/cathode theoretically extending their life. Given the low cost of the stainless I doubt many are bothered about this.

Back