• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal DIY Wabi Kusa journal-ish

Phil Edwards

Hello everyone, I thought I'd share pics of my most recent project. I'm not quite sure if it belongs here or in another section. Mods; I do plan on updating photos on a regular basis, but please move the thread of you feel the need.

The company I work for is sponsoring a wabi kusa workshop at a hobby convention so I thought it would be a good idea to start my own to take to the show. The goal was/is to replicate the ADA wabi kusa I had in Japan as closely as possible given materials easily available to me.

Authentic ADA wabi kusa, 1 large stem mix and 1 small Crypt
IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

One thing I took interest in with the ADA balls is they're clearly made of some sort of straw, my guess is rice. I would guess wheat, barley, or other grain straw would work equally well. Unfortunately that's not available in small quantities where I am. I didn't want to buy a full bale just for one little wabi kusa. Instead, I got a bag of Aspen fibers which got a strong boil for an hour to soften them up.

001_10.jpg

Step 2: Grab a good double handful of fiber and make a circular mat.

002_11.jpg

Step 3: Add a few small rocks to give it weight. These were about 2.5cm each.

003_11.jpg

Step 4: Wrap. Again, the local hobby store didn't have nice thick colored string so I had to go with the slightly thicker standard white variety. For reference, the white pad is approximately 7 x 7 cm.

004_10.jpg

Step 5: Add more fiber and wrap again, more loosely this time.

005_14.jpg

Step 6 (optional): Add moss and wrap. If I'd had an appropriately dark straw I wouldn't have mossed the ball, but since I only had light colored materials I went with the moss to cover it all up.

Phase 1
006_14.jpg

Phase 2
007_12.jpg

Step 7: Grab whatever stems you want. I had some R. rotundifolia, L. repens 'Red', and H. pinnatifida that weren't to happy in the tank so they got pulled for this. The B. monneri was doing too well so a bunch got yanked to get it out of the tank. The Crypt is a small C. wendtii "Tropica" (my favorite plant ever) to cap everything off.

008_8.jpg

Step 8: Chop the stems into 1 inch/2.5 cm segments making sure there is at least one node per segment to get a good growing point. Mix well.

009_9.jpg

Step 9: With wet hands grab a handful of plant bits, put on the ball, and wrap. I used dark green cotton sewing thread to wrap both the moss and the plants.

010_8.jpg

You may notice the lack of Crypt leaves. It turns out I wrapped the inner ball too tightly to get the whole thing inserted so I ended up having to make a divet in the outer layer to shove roots and rhizome in. Note to self: wrap more loosely next time.

There you go, Phil's As Authentic As Able ADA Wabi Kusa.

Cheers,
Phil

Very interesting Phil, thanks for sharing. So what kind of company do you work for? Do you know that the ADA wabi kusa are planted that way? When I had a crack at it I actually stuck the stems in perpendicular, but your way looks a lot faster! I also made the ball with some clay based substrate wrapped up in the straw, and used coir as the fibre - seemed to work ok. Look forward to seeing how this grows, please do keep updating

Very interesting Phil, thanks for sharing. So what kind of company do you work for? Do you know that the ADA wabi kusa are planted that way? When I had a crack at it I actually stuck the stems in perpendicular, but your way looks a lot faster! I also made the ball with some clay based substrate wrapped up in the straw, and used coir as the fibre - seemed to work ok. Look forward to seeing how this grows, please do keep updating

Million,

I work in the aquatics industry. The first few pictures are of real-deal ADA wabi kusa I kept in Japan. The stems were cut into bits and just wrapped on. Some stems and things like hairgrass and Crypts are stuck into the straw rather than being chopped and wrapped. I bet if you used larger chunks of stems and tied them on you'd do just as well. I didn't have a whole lot of plant mass to work with and I wanted a good mix so the ol' chop, mix, and wrap method worked best here. The next time I have the opportunity to work with larger amounts of plants I'll give your method of sticking them in prior to tying a try.

Cheers,
Phil

3.16.17 Photo dump-

Wabi Kusa a couple days after making
001_11.jpg

002_12.jpg

About a week later(?) Some new growth is starting to show.
003_12.jpg

004_11.jpg

Various attempts at getting macro shots without a true macro lens. There are a number of really little shoots starting to grow that are a bit too small for my camera to photograph well.
012_9.jpg

013_6.jpg

014_8.jpg

015_3.jpg

016_3.jpg

Wabi's new home after a good cleaning. I'll be keeping the water level lower now to keep Wabi from getting too wet and making the stems rot.
017_6.jpg

Taken a few days ago. I think the Crypts are done for, but they won't be removed just in case. I've seen them come back from worse conditions.
021_4.jpg

Taken this morning. More little shoots are starting to appear, but are still to small to effectively photograph.
057.jpg

H. pinn and R. rotundifolia making a good go at it!
058.jpg

Thanks for watching. I'll have my laptop with me while I'm gone, so don't have a wild party and trash the place!

Cheers,
Phil

Back