• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY Water Changer, No more buckets!!

Re: My Water Changer

jonboy8465 said:
It looks a good idea .
If you have a permanent way of leaving the hose hidden out of sight you can even leave it there in place all the time and then just open and close taps ;)

I made a "LondonDragon" water changer last weekend to enable me to change water without the hassle.

All I used was a standard garden hose and a 400lph pump at one end when I want to pump the water out. Then used an hoselock attachment at the other end which fits onto the mixer tap for when I want to fill it up. Simple as really.

When filling up I put the hose end into the internal filter so that it doesn't move around and mess up the gravel.

Superman said:
Simple as really.
Very simple but affective, makes water changes more boring though lol no more buckets of water on the floors when the handle came off, etc... lol

Superman said:
In a rented house that's key lol
Even in my own place after I just installed new flooring throughout, wouldn't like to that again any time too, was very hard work ;)

LondonDragon said:
Superman said:
How do you dose the dechlorinator?
As we were chatting on gabbly last night, forgot that question! :?
Just dose it in the tank has it's filling up! Never had any problems doing that.

Nice idea LD, refering to the declorinator, doesn't the un-treated tap water kill the benificial bacteria built up in the tank??

Vito.

Vito said:
Nice idea LD, refering to the declorinator, doesn't the un-treated tap water kill the benificial bacteria built up in the tank??
Been doing it like this for over a year and never had any problems, and a lot of people do it this way too. So I guess it doesn't kill the bacteria.

LondonDragon said:
Vito said:
Been doing it like this for over a year and never had any problems, and a lot of people do it this way too. So I guess it doesn't kill the bacteria.

Cool bro, I will be also using this water changer but I will just use my Rio 125 pump as I removed the internal filter....

Vito.

Vito said:
Cool bro, I will be also using this water changer but I will just use my Rio 125 pump as I removed the internal filter....
Vito.
As long it fits on the end of the hose then its not a problem. Otherwise go hunting on ebay! ;)

Well I'm completely thrown by this thread (and some others re bucketless water changes).

I've kept fish for years, and I've never added tap water to the tank without adding dechlori first. This does of course mean I have to decant the tap water into a large container first. I've also never used hot tap water, but heated it up in the container with a spare heater.

Have I been wasting my time all these years?! Is it safe to add tap water straight into the tank, and then add de-chlori?

brian68 said:
Have I been wasting my time all these years?! Is it safe to add tap water straight into the tank, and then add de-chlori?
You giving the fish the best possible water, but I have been doing this for years without any problems to fish or plants.
Many many other people do the same thing without any problems either.

Thinking of setting up a similar system to this using pump and hose. One of the risks of using hot water straight from the tap is that if the plumbing is copper then you can get this in the water. I was told that a lot of new places have copper plumbing so have to mix water in a bucket before pumping back, but should still speed up process.

Superman said:
I've found due to the current weather (hot) has meant that putting only cold water in hasn't meant too much of a temp change in the aquarium. Although, I do appreciate that in the winter I might need to put some hot water in there.

Have to agree with you there now, i just put the hose in from the mains and just pump in now, and then add any chemicals after. :D Changing about 300 litres at a time.

going to make one of these soon, thanks for the diagram mate:D

do you need a o ring type clip to secure the hose to the pump? or is it just a tight fit?

Cheers,
JOHNNY

johnny70 said:
going to make one of these soon, thanks for the diagram mate:D
do you need a o ring type clip to secure the hose to the pump? or is it just a tight fit?
Cheers,
JOHNNY
Its just a tight fit, depends on the pump and hose though, the one I purchased was the right size for my hose :)

Here's a few photos of my "LD Water Changer"

Hose attached to powerhead to pump water out...
2008-07-30001.jpg

2008-07-30002.jpg

Other end of hose with attachment to clip onto the tap adapter when I want to refil...
2008-07-30003.jpg

The tap adapter, they just click together...
2008-07-30004.jpg

Please ignore the messy sink :oops:

Back