• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY wood

Neil EFC

Seedling
I have seen people create backgrounds using cement to cover polystyrene which got me wondering wether it would be possible to get any wood(such as non safe) from a local forest and dunk it in cement and apply the same method as the diy backgrounds. Not sure if this is a crazy idea or if anyone has tried it but would be happy on everyone's thoughts in this.

I have come across folk who have built polystyrene or expanding foam backdrops & covered them in certain types of tile cement. Normally epoxy based and inert when cured, this method I popular in vivariums but. I cant say I have come across anyone using Portland cement. I don't think that is a good idea as it will leach lime and salt for many months or even years.

You would have to dry it and seal it before using the cement.The cement goes on in quite a thick layer and has to be sealed also.So you wouldn't see a lot of the wood.
Many people use PVC pipes and distort those with hot air and construct trees/branches like that before covering those with cement.
Here in the netherlands tiling glue/cement is used most often.

Hi, is it possible , to use dead standing would?? How would you treat/prepare it??
I mean as is, not coated in concrete-
Cheers

I don't know what you mean with dead standing wood? You mean a dead piece of tree? Still standing?
If it's oak and dead long enough it should work. Here in holland we used to only use dead bogwood, because that was cheap (preserved by long time submerged in humins). Oak is expensive and long living so there wasn't a lot of dead oak around.
Hard woods will work when dead long enough because all easy rotting parts are gone ( as are the sugars, starches, etc).

I meant when the tree dies but is still attached the tree, sorry for my poor explanation... where I live there are many areas where ‘dead’ wood is available but I am un sure how , if safe todo so I could use in my tank.... thanks for the reply

I am going to have a look this weekend hopefully- there are many streams and lakes near my home ! So I might find something suitable to clean up and use cheers

I am going to have a look this weekend hopefully- there are many streams and lakes near my home ! So I might find something suitable to clean up and use cheers

Let me know what you find, still getting used to south derby. so interested in knowing some nice places to explore

Hi Gill, I live on the back of Shipley country park... some decent wLks around there!!! I will let you know what I find cheers

Using cement is risky too many issues in a aquarium , you could cheat a little with a Juwel 3d background with wood glued to it. I think Oliver Knott did something similar in a demo

Digging up an old thread.................
I have a large void in the middle of a piece of wood.
I could drill a few holes but then it still leaves the void to get nasties in so need to fill it in.
Any ideas about the best product? - whether that be a tile adhesive, cement, 2 part acrylic

Thanks
Andrew

Also considering trying to mix some HA6 silicone with some gravel but think this will be a bit buoyant, more than a bit messy and not so easy to break air pockets and fill the void as a cement/tile adhesive.

Epoxy mixed with wood dust would be good but if you don’t have any to hand it is pretty expensive depending on the size of the hole.
Silicone mixed with wood dust might give you a better colour than plain silicone, you can buy brown or black silicone although it might have an anti mould additive.
There are quite a few epoxy based tile adhesives but not cheap unless you have a really big hole to fill.

Epoxy mixed with wood dust would be good but if you don’t have any to hand it is pretty expensive depending on the size of the hole.
Silicone mixed with wood dust might give you a better colour than plain silicone, you can buy brown or black silicone although it might have an anti mould additive.
There are quite a few epoxy based tile adhesives but not cheap unless you have a really big hole to fill.
It is quite a large void so I know it needs filling.
Colour isn't the issue as it's at the bottom of the piece aside from a few small channels from the void to the outside; no photo to hand.

Acrylic / Apoxy costs a fortune so would rather avoid this route - there's probably 300-500ml of void to fill.

Bont-it HA6 silicone I know to be 100% aquarium safe and have a bit of clear laying around I know is still okay although probably not enough so will get a bit more.
As the colour doesn't matter I'm thinking maybe the idea of mixing a paste up with some gravel or sand will probably be the safest option for me.

Thinking about using a syringe to inject the paste into the cavities. hmmmmm

Hi all,You don't need to fill it in. Just scrape any soft wood out of it.

I have lots of bits of wood with central voids.

cheers Darrel
just got your post Darrel,
There are a few places the main void has channels through to the outside of the wood and can just see the shrimp loving it in there and making a mess I can't get at easily.
The wood is also floating still after around a month of soaking, even when I have filled the upper void with water so there was no air trapped.
Could do with some weight in there to help things along too I think.

Back