• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY yeast based system

Spanerman

hi, im making a diy yeast system for my 17g tank... i was wondering do i alter the amount of yeast/sugar used in acordance to the tank size? or is it just a standard amount?

well for someone using a 2l bottle for diy difuser, what would you recomend? a few cm's of sugar then a tspn of yeast then just top up with warm water?

For a 2 litre I would try:

Big mug of sugar
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1/4 teaspoon bicarb (if you want to - probably only needed with soft water)

The sugar is where the carbon comes from (C6H12O6 --> 6 H2O + 6 CO2), if you only put a few cm in it would run out too quickly. Probably want a fifth to a fourth of the bottle full of sugar. 1/2 teaspoon of yeast should be enough - it breeds quite fast. People say bicarb makes the system last longer - don't know if it's true as I always use it (have never run out of my first tin!).

Use warm tap water, about 25 degrees C. You should get 3 good weeks out of it. If you run two you can stagger them by a week or ten days, so that you're always starting a new one as the other runs out, but then it's twice as much work!

Good luck,

Mark

Back