• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do I need more filtration?

Courtneybst

Hi everyone,

I'm setting up a 60cm tank (ADA 60P) for a display for an event and want to grow it in beforehand. Usually for filtration I'd add something like a Biomaster 350 or even 600 with some diffusion. However, I only have a Filtosmart 100 on hand and wondering if this will be enough. For context, it will be a high energy Iwagumi.

I do also have an additional Superfish Scaper hang-on 200 filter which has quite a decent space for filter media and a flow rate of 450L/h, but I would think the criss crossing of flow paths could cause problems with CO2 distribution.

There also won't be any fish.

What are your thoughts?

However, I only have a Filtosmart 100 on hand and wondering if this will be enough.
I would think this would depend on the scape you are doing. I have run a Filtosmart 200 on a 60 cm tank coupled with a skimmer and I think it's enough. With the Filtosmart 100 I would add either a pump or a skimmer on the other side to make sure water does a full circle.

I would think this would depend on the scape you are doing. I have run a Filtosmart 200 on a 60 cm tank coupled with a skimmer and I think it's enough. With the Filtosmart 100 I would add either a pump or a skimmer on the other side to make sure water does a full circle.
It'll be quite open, high energy iwagumi with only cherry shrimp.

I have plenty of skimmers and pumps laying around I could add. Do you recommend the pumps over adding an additional filter?

I have plenty of skimmers and pumps laying around I could add. Do you recommend the pumps over adding an additional filter?
The Filtosmart is rated at ~600L/h, more realistically like 200/300L/h. If you have an additional filter you could add that. The point is to add more flow to make sure water circulates properly. I am not too concerned about the bacteria as most of it will be in the substrate/plants. I like to use skimmers because they have a dual function: move water and clean the water surface.

The Filtosmart is rated at ~600L/h, more realistically like 200/300L/h. If you have an additional filter you could add that. The point is to add more flow to make sure water circulates properly. I am not too concerned about the bacteria as most of it will be in the substrate/plants. I like to use skimmers because they have a dual function: move water and clean the water surface.
Good point. I'll add a pump or skimmer to it. Thanks!

It's just my opinion. Others may things differently though.
Something came up to mind. If you want a very clean look then the skimmer might not be the best choice and a second filter might be less obtrusive.
Oh I don't mind the appearance. Once it's moved to the display I can take the skimmer out.

Do you normally run yours 24/7?

Do you normally run yours 24/7?
Yes. I think it's a must. At least I don't see any benefits whatsoever in shutting it down at intervals like some do (or like I used to do years ago). I want my water surface to be impeccable at all times and allow gaseous exchange unhindered.

Back