• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do I need to acclimatise plants for a Riparium?

Andy D

Hi All,

I will be setting up a Riparium in about 5 weeks when my new tanks arrive and I have bought some plants for it today. They are:

Peace Lily
Maidenhair Fern
Ficus
Calathea

uru7aby9.jpg

Current plans are to stick these in shower caddies with some clay balls capped with cat litter. I may add some soil too.

Do I need to acclimatise these in any way or can I just pot them up and stick them in?

If anyone has any other do's / don'ts etc then feel free to share them too!

:)

I've used all of those except the ficus, and basically just washed off all the soil from the roots then either planted them in caddies with hydroton or in some cases just wedged them bare-rooted into the hardscape. They will take a little while to adapt to hydroculture - expect them to look a little sorry for themselves for two or three weeks and you'll probably see a lot of root die-off, followed by regrowth, at which point they'll perk up and start putting out new leaf growth again.

You could probably do all that now and just keep their feet wet in a bucket or whatever so they're raring to go in 5 weeks when you set up the rip.

They do go to some sort of acclimating period as Tom says and will grow slower or not much at the start but once they realize what heaven it is, they start growing steadily. But yes, plant them straight into the substrate and into the water. For the peace lilies use just hydroton balls, it likes lots of flow and oxygen around the roots.
I'd love to get my hands on some Maidenhair Fern too.

Good luck.

They do go to some sort of acclimating period as Tom says and will grow slower or not much at the start but once they realize what heaven it is, they start growing steadily. But yes, plant them straight into the substrate and into the water. For the peace lilies use just hydroton balls, it likes lots of flow and oxygen around the roots.
I'd love to get my hands on some Maidenhair Fern too.

Good luck.

Thanks!

I got all my plants from Homebase. They had loads of the Fern plus lots of other choices too but some were just too big for my tank.

Back