• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do plants grow faster at night?

Soilwork

Just wondering. I know cabomba is a rapid grower anyway but it just looks like it's doubled in size when the lights come on the next day. Same goes for most of my plants or am I just imagining things?

Thanks again! Glad I found this site. I wonder though. Is the plants carcadian rhythm evolutionary tuned to the locale to which it spawned or do they reprogramme their rhythm to match our artificial lighting trigger?

I am so using 'we are the zeitgebers' as my signature. Claimed! :)

Well :woot: i was already searching a while for that... "Etiolation" :clap:. The Dutch house hold word used for this grow charasteristic is not translatable without saying nonsense.

And now i find out that our official botanical term also is Etioleren derived from the french Étoiler..

:pompus: Troi thanks a million

Tho i do not think that plants growing in the dark at night by sufficient day light has to do with etiolation.. Etiolation is actualy a grow deformity by long term light defficiency. Like seeding plants to early in the year then the seedlings loos strenght and fall over from weakness.

Last edited:
Yeah you're absolutely right...it was just a stab in the dark in answer to the linked post:p
P.S. I linked the thread more for Tom Barrs response;)

Last edited:
stab in the dark
Lol...

Still an edducative one.. :) Etiolation seems to be a term well known and used among the Chicory and Asparugus farmers. Deprive the plant from light to make 'm white.
We have also a differnet word for the weak growth it causes, but that's also etiolation.. But i also noticed some plants growing faster when lights are off, like the water lily does, i specialy noticed it with the flowerbud it grew lately. It grew about 1,½ inch each night for the last 3 nights before it surfaced. :)

Back