• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

do variegated plants flower?

Mark Evans

Expert
My anubias bonsai is apparently variegated. does this loose it's ability to flower?

it's currently chucking out leaves at quite a rate. usually all my anubias flower, but this isn't.is it because it's variegated?

thanks

Hey Mark. From a quick hunt around, variagation generally refers to colour morphs. So a variegated anubias should be a different colour (not sure what difference) to a "standard" anubias. I've found no reference to not flowering though, but I've only had a quick 5 minute hunt :)

I've never known what variegated meant, hence the hunt about for info :)

i cant find the link now, but it was sayed by tropica it was variegated. i've surfed around and it's a hybrid....maybe thats what i meant :D

so as it's a cross i wonder if they can still flower.

thanks steve :D

I WANT FLOWERS! :lol:

Neither variegation or hybridisation should stop it flowering - you can see loads of variegated plants like holly and pelargonium flowering in any park, and all the "London Plane" trees in London are hybrids, and their flowers/fluff are one of the main causes of respiratory problems in London!

The flowers of a hybrid might be sterile (ie unable to form viable seeds), but if you're talking about Anubius flowering underwater that's irrelevant anyway, as the don't set seed underwater.

Hope to see flower pictures soon!

Mark

vauxhallmark said:
Neither variegation or hybridisation should stop it flowering - you can see loads of variegated plants like holly and pelargonium flowering in any park, and all the "London Plane" trees in London are hybrids, and their flowers/fluff are one of the main causes of respiratory problems in London!

The flowers of a hybrid might be sterile (ie unable to form viable seeds), but if you're talking about Anubius flowering underwater that's irrelevant anyway, as the don't set seed underwater.

Hope to see flower pictures soon!

thanks mate

Themuleous said:
Cant think of a reason why a plant being variegated would stop it flowering.

me neither, but wasnt sure.

interbred etc...it's never "normal"..... seedles grapes etc....

the reason i ask was because i always get flowers before now on any of my anubias. i just wondered why these hadn't...yet. although there the most healthiest i've grown.

Variegation will not stop a plant flowering but it can reduce the vigour of the plant and, as flowering uses a lot of energy from the plant, it can reduce the quantity or size of flowers. The degree of reduction would be related to the degree and form of variegation and how much chlorophyll is lost compared to the normal form.

Back