• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do you like Tiger Barbs?

Ejack

Well, have had a small shoal in my old tank for about half a year now; and I'm kinda at odds what to do with them once I move to my new tank as they're kinda quite aggressive and was hoping to start keeping a few shrimp along with other fish.

In my current tank I have 2 shrimp (Amanos) which have lived with the barbs quite peacefully, except for the first day I introduced the barbs, who were going up to everything and trying to nip them.But should I want more shrimp I'm getting the feeling the barbs may start to snack on them especially if they're quite small.

Do any of you guys keep and tiger Barbs? if so do you like them in your planted tanks and do you have any shrimp with them?

Tiger barbs should be kept in a group of at least 6 preferably larger in order that they interact amongst themsleves properly. They are not really agressive, but they will involve other fish in their pecking order antics if there are not enough other tigers around.

I like them, but only when they have clean stribes, seen too many with blotches on the body possibly due to contamination by breeding with green tiger barbs.

They are great ffish otherwise ans interesting to watch as long as they are kept in the right numbers.

I agree with the above, the proper cleanly striped natural form are great in big shoals. However I bet they will eat every last shrimp they can find so I wouldn't even try them with shrimp.

Looks like I'll be taking them to my LFS and asking if they can take care of them for me.

:(

I had a shoal of about 10 tiger barbs once and they're fantastic fish.
I had them with some danios and they didn't bother each other.

The TBs only just kept having little spats with each other and when they did it was really funny to watch.

However, I swapped them as I wanted eventually to have other types of fish and shrimp in my tank. They even kept nipping on my apple snail at times.

I would have them again, but it'd be a small snail and TB only tank.

Back