• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do you need CO2

OrmondeHouse

Hi,

Had tropical tanks over the years but never spent a lot of time/thought on the planting of tanks. Started seeing some aquascaping videos and am keen to get started.

I have a 60 ltr tank running but just got a 110 litre today. Not looking to get into the full CO2 equipment yet for this tank but hoped to work on some planting.

Any tips if just wanted to buy some aqua soil (the tank has blue/white LEDs built in) and get some plants in?

Thanks
Tim

as you have watched aquascaping videos you no doubt have seen the 'difference' between tanks with CO2 and tanks without CO2.

If you like the look of a particular CO2 injected tank and want something similar, then in all likelihood you will also need to inject CO2

Thanks, just been watching videos for a week or so. Haven’t really compared the “with” / “without” look.

I’ll do some more research into it

There are considerable differences between the two, the ones with added C02 will grow plant much faster but requires far more attention.
Low tech, ie no extra C02, are more suited to slow growth and fishkeeping but they still need a good understanding of the method and equipment.
It is possible to grow a lush looking low tech but the vast majority of show tanks will have injected C02.

That's a great experiment, but I don't share his optimism that the non-CO2 tank will ever be capable of getting a nice carpet of monte carlo no matter how long it gets left to grow. If you want a carpet I think you have to go high-tech. That being said I'm not sure having a plant carpet is necessarily super desireable anyway. ;)

That's a great experiment, but I don't share his optimism that the non-CO2 tank will ever be capable of getting a nice carpet of monte carlo no matter how long it gets left to grow. If you want a carpet I think you have to go high-tech. That being said I'm not sure having a plant carpet is necessarily super desireable anyway. ;)
aggreed, theres a large difference in the carpet after 45 days.

definitely is possible, this is my small vase a couple months ago. started with a couple small sprigs of marsilea. i'd say it took 3-4 months though...
1645387122666.png

no co2, tropica aquasoil, hard tapwater, cheap led plus sunlight.

Attachments

• 1645387129105.png
    1645387129105.png
    11.9 MB · Views: 76
There are considerable differences between the two, the ones with added C02 will grow plant much faster but requires far more attention.
Low tech, ie no extra C02, are more suited to slow growth and fishkeeping but they still need a good understanding of the method and equipment.
It is possible to grow a lush looking low tech but the vast majority of show tanks will have injected C02.
Thanks very much for the info.

I would point you to the 2hour aquarist on low tech - marks video is something like a starting point but is somewhat misleading as soon as you get to larger/deeper tanks and doesn’t deal with the problems that show up long term. Basically his experiment stopped before the majority of low tech issues start to show up.

I’ve done a no tech carpet with hc but it was in a “tank” basically 9cms deep and only 3l of water. It’s possible. Could I do that in a 110l of around 45cm deep? Nahhhhh.

Back