• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do you need Pressurised CO2 to grow HC?

what size is your tank?

alot of people have found pressurized better than liquid co2 for HC. but it all depends on your tank size.

Themuleous said:
Liquid carbon is ok, but plants have evolved to use CO2 not liquid carbon. If its a large tank, it can also be costly :)

Sam

why are ppl always saying how expensive it can be?

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... ts_id=1809
this would cost £60-£70 per year in a 240 litre tank, which is pretty much the same it'll cost me to refill my FE's in a year.

am i missing something?

To be fair, the dosing guide isn't great as most peoples idea of a planted tank is a tank with a few plants in, not a real planted tank with like 90%+ substrate coverage. I can easily double the dose of EasyCarbo without problems. And HC loves liquid carbon as much as it loves a good trim.

JamesM said:
To be fair, the dosing guide isn't great as most peoples idea of a planted tank is a tank with a few plants in, not a real planted tank with like 90%+ substrate coverage. I can easily double the dose of EasyCarbo without problems. And HC loves liquid carbon as much as it loves a good trim.

ditto, i have had success with liquid carbon and hc.

I couldn't keep HC alive as a carpeting plant using Easycarbo in a Rio 180 with stock lighting. It is now thriving as a floating plant!

In my nano, HC grew with dosing EC, but you see a massive step change when I moved to pressurised co2.
I would say, you don't NEED pressurised co2 for a nice HC carpet but pressurised co2 will always be preferable.

Remember that with DIY (yeast) co2, that it can be a bit fiddly, cause co2 fluctuations and not all co2 diffusers can work with it (as the gas pressure isn't high enough).

Back