• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do you stabilize/buffer your RO water?

demetrisag

Hi all, question, do you stabilize your RO water? I only reminalize and then add ferts.

How do you all go about stabilize?

What do you mean by stabilise?

If you are filling a container you can run an air stone in it to remove any dissolved CO2, but it's probably not essential - the addition of remineralisation salts is all that's really required, and they can be added direct to the tank if the water change isn't a large one.

Last edited:
I mean about PH buffers. Right now there is no ph buffering. I suppose the substrate does something but its buffering capacity it being depleted

That is really part of your remineralisation, and whether you decide to add carbonates as part of that to bring the KH up. I add Potassium Carbonate to mine, targeting a KH between 1-2 - still very soft, but giving a bit of carbonate hardness just because I inject CO2 and want to limit the resulting PH reduction.

In my non-CO2 shrimp tank though I don't add any carbonates currently, as the soil buffers the KH down to zero anyway.

What are you using to remineralise the RO water?

Hi all,
Right now there is no ph buffering.
You don't need to <"stabilise pH">, it is always going to be moveable feast in really soft water, both in the tank <"and in the wild">.

If you want a minimal amount of dKH/dGH you can add a small amount of tap water if it is hard (contains CaCO3), because you are from Cyprus I'm going to assume it is hard tap water, and probably <"contains magnesium (Mg)">, as well as calcium (Ca).

If you just want to add dKH you can add a small amount of potassium carbonate (K2CO3) or potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3). There is a more complete explanation in <"Do I need GH/KH.....">.

*edit what @Wookii says.

cheers Darrel

I agree with Darrel and Wookii. There is no need to chase pH stability as neither plants nor fish really care. As stated, remineralize and let the pH do what it will.

Cheers,

Back