• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does anybody here have experience with freshwater clams?

FishBeast

I am interested in adding clams to my tank as an experiment.

Since I have had a great lesson in algae in my tank which has been overtaken by just about every type of algae I have turned it into a learning experience whilst I research for my next tank.

My thoughts are to make a container with sand in it which will house a few clams. I would possibly in the future if it works have a few hidden throughout the tank in amoungst the plants.

My intention is to use them to reduce any left over particles in the water colum.

Any thoughts welcome.

I've wondered about adding these a few years back but have never got round to it.
Impression I get is that as filter feeders you probably want to make sure you have nice mature water, as in water with plenty of micro food/fauna in your water column. I usually have had more success with fan shrimp that way in a tank with plenty of fish to help with the messyness (if thats the right word) and provide potential food from their eating and microfauna from their leftovers and waste, I would assume that clams are going to do better as well with a set up like this. However from what I remember they weren't going to be as easy to spot feed as you might find with filter shrimp (although I don't think I read of anyone containing them in one spot).
There were some comments that some clams larvae act as a parasite hosting on fish howver I think this is dependent on species so find out what your getting.
Aquaticplant central had a few threads on clams think thats were I did a lot of reading on them.
Hope that helps.

There's a german seller that sells unusual ones that I linked over in a shrimp thread, they give pretty good advice with being linked to chris lukhaup. I've always been told it's impossible though, not in our kind of tanks.

Freshwater clams come in two basic sorts: swan mussels and Asian clams.

Swan mussels (Unio, Anodonta, etc.) are basically impossible to keep alive in aquaria. They require lots of green algae (or some substitute) as well as cold, well oxygenated water. They are perhaps viable in ponds, but otherwise of no value to the aquarist. Wild swan mussels live for decades, even over 100 years; in captivity most die after a few months. Enough said really.

Asian clams are Corbicula fluminea. They are extremely difficult to maintain in aquaria. Again, they are filter feeders, and will need to be fed daily on a filter feeder food of the sort given to corals and tubeworms in marine aquaria. Otherwise they starve to death. They ARE NOT scavengers and THEY CANNOT survive without being given filter feeder food. They prefer (need) a sandy substrate into which they can burrow. When they are healthy and happy, they are hidden from view except for their fleshy siphons. If you can see the shell, then the animal is unhappy and likely to die. Asian clams usually die in aquaria quite quickly, and when they rot, they pollute the aquarium.

Bottom line, unless you are a very experienced aquarist willing to set up a dedicated aquarium just for filter-feeding animals, do not buy clams. Total waste of money. Do not release unwanted clams into the wild. Several species, including Asian clams, are notorious pests when released into the wild.

Cheers, Neale

From here: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?sho ... omsearch=1

Cant say I ave any personal experience, but a friend of mine added some freshwater mussels to his can and they just buried themselves and also you can see is a tiny mount of their 'mouth'. Guess most bivalves would do a similar thing.

Not exactly a 'showy' animal :lol:

Sam

EDIT - not sure if you'd get much of a filtering action unless you had lots and lots of them.

Back