• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

does anyone know what these stem plants are called ?

Aqua Hero

i have actually have three stem plants i am unaware of but in these photos you can only see two of them.

gt%203073_zpsfbumzplm.jpg

the plant massive bush of stem plants in the middle is on of them and the small dark green hygrophilia is the other one.

the first plant (light green bush in the middle) was really had to find. this is the only link i have of a plant that looks similar to it.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=303

it was commonly mistaken for Eriocaulaceae sp. 'type 2'.
aquariumlinks2.jpg

here is Eriocaulaceae sp. 'type 2'. i did some research on i and it said that it propagates via runners and that it doesnt grow to tall. where as the unknown plant in my aquarium propagates by cutting the stems and grows over 60cm fast. it would be awesome if some could tell me what it is. apparently both plants aren't related at all.

the second plant was the dark green plant on the bottom left. all i know is that its a hygrophilia. it grows really slow compare to my hygrophilia polysperma. Please help

thanks. they look similar but thats not it. Juncus Repens looks looks similar with the leaf structure but when i look at more pictures of it it isnt the same plant.

i have both there magazines and nothing. cant find anything similar. its pretty strange and weird having an unknown plant.

i have never seen it in stores so i guess its a rare plant. got it from a guy on gumtree and even he doesnt know what it is

Your bright green stem is likely a Najas of some kind. There are quite a lot of different ones circulating the hobby. They "travel" very bad, which is why they are not common commercially. Najas usually do only few, but very strong "anchoring" roots, often from high on the stem.

The Hygrophila is likely a Hygrophila......but could also be some Staurogyne. There seem to be some Staurogynes going around in hobby, too.

Najas_guadalupensis3.jpg

yep this is the plant. its called najas guadalupensis. yeah i can imagine why they travel so bad. the stems are the most delicate things i have ever handled. they grow like wild fire though i have a ton that i keep in a breeding box and im gonna start selling it. i really don like throwing away a healthy plant

Back