Does good 'flow and distribution' always require high current?

Emil.

Practicality aside, would air tight hood with CO2 only above the water surface work for CO2 distribution? Could the surface agitation in this scenario be delivering enough CO2 to the water column? 🤔

Wookii

Practicality aside, would air tight hood with CO2 only above the water surface work for CO2 distribution? Could the surface agitation in this scenario be delivering enough CO2 to the water column? 🤔

It's an interesting idea, but I think it might cause more issues than it solves. You still have to get the CO2 from the surface to the bottom of the tank, so you still have to implement strong flow/water velocity which is what we're trying to avoid in this design goal - otherwise I would assume you'd just end up with a thin layer of water at the top of the tank in equilibrium with the CO2 enriched air gap.

I also suspect that pumping the surface air gap with lots of CO2 would push out most of the oxygen, so you could end up with an issue of insufficient oxygen in the water column also.

I think an external reactor is always going to be the best option for efficient CO2 delivery, but the question is then how to deliver that CO2 enriched water to all the corners of the aquarium most efficiently, and with minimum velocity.

Zeus.

So like a CO2 reactor - yes, but we also need O2 esp at night, so best to use a CO2 reactor then plants/livestock still get CO2 at night, plus gassing off at the waters surface helps maintain stable [CO2] and prevents the [CO2] from getting too high. But as @Wookii points out we still need good flow 'Flow is King' in the supply of CO2 to our plants esp in tanks with high [CO2]