• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does hair algae grow emersed?

hotweldfire

I'm experimenting growing some mosses emersed in clear plastic pots (the ones edamame comes in from Pret). Said moss is mini xmas and had a fair bit of hair algae on it when I pulled it out of the tank. The moss is doing really well, lots of bright green new growth. I just give it 15 minutes air in the morning and keep the lid on tight rest of the day.

But the algae is still in there. I had assumed it would die off when not fully submerged. Perhaps it is dead strands I can see but I don't think so. Obviously it's very moist in the pots but no standing water.

I know there are some terrestial strains of algae but is hair algae one of them?

IME it will carry on growing emersed for a while then turn yelow and die off. If the pot is covered it may not die off as continues to stay moist. hair Algae is a bane of mine with Mosses, have it again in my java Moss.

Back