• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does it make sense to add clean-up crew now?

Tanksy

Hi all,

My tank (30 l Nanocube) has been cycling for the last 3 months (Dark Start Method) and I've added the plants one week ago.
All plants are growing and look healthy and the driftwood has already a biofilm on it.
Does it make sense to start adding the clean-up crew? I was thinking of adding 1 Amano shrimp at the moment and later add 1 Nerite snail and 1 Otto or Blue Neon Goby.

Cheers!

IMG_5464.jpg

I'd personally just say it depends on if you want those creatures in your tank. As a tank matures, it will get all sorts of microfauna, so if you decide not to get shrimp, it's likely something else will be consuming what the shrimp would. Shrimp are great though, I never keep a tank without them :thumbup: if you enjoy them as creatures, then go for it.
I wouldn't advise this - ottos are social fish; they naturally shoal in the thousands in the wild, and one by itself is unlikely to thrive. If keeping ottos it's generally best to get a group of them, and that won't really be possible in a 30L.

I'd personally just say it depends on if you want those creatures in your tank. As a tank matures, it will get all sorts of microfauna, so if you decide not to get shrimp, it's likely something else will be consuming what the shrimp would. Shrimp are great though, I never keep a tank without them :thumbup: if you enjoy them as creatures, then go for it.

I wouldn't advise this - ottos are social fish; they naturally shoal in the thousands in the wild, and one by itself is unlikely to thrive. If keeping ottos it's generally best to get a group of them, and that won't really be possible in a 30L.
I've read these shrimp are hard-working algae and biofilm cleaners.
You're probably right about the Otto. A 5 gallon is too small for such a fish, and I think the same applies for the Blue Neon Goby as well. A 10 gallon would be more suitable for those fish.

May I ask where do you guys buy your CUC from? The reason I'm asking is because I went to my lfs, and although they had Amano shrimp in stock, they were all adults (~4 cm) and in poor condition.

I've read these shrimp are hard-working algae and biofilm cleaners.
A hungry amano shrimp can consume a lot of algae, for sure. I initially got a bunch of them for this reason, but now that my main tank is stable and algae free, there's not much for them to eat, so I just make sure to chuck in some sinking pellets for them. Basically, the point I'm making is that in a well-balanced tank, there won't be much algae, so cherry shrimp may be a better option; they'll reproduce readily in the aquarium and help clean up fish waste. Unless of course you want amano shrimp because you like them, they can be quite entertaining... they're very greedy creatures :lol: mine go up to my fish and take pellets away from them.
May I ask where do you guys buy your CUC from? The reason I'm asking is because I went to my lfs, and although they had Amano shrimp in stock, they were all adults (~4 cm) and in poor condition.
I originally got my shrimp from proshrimp, but that's only because I wanted yellow cherry shrimp and my LFS didn't have that colour. Most people will have a few different LFS around them, so it might be worth checking if there are other ones in your local area. Alternatively, you could just ask your LFS when their next shipment of [insert creature] is, that way you can come in and get first pickings. Some LFS will order in things specifically for you if you ask them.

A hungry amano shrimp can consume a lot of algae, for sure. I initially got a bunch of them for this reason, but now that my main tank is stable and algae free, there's not much for them to eat, so I just make sure to chuck in some sinking pellets for them. Basically, the point I'm making is that in a well-balanced tank, there won't be much algae, so cherry shrimp may be a better option; they'll reproduce readily in the aquarium and help clean up fish waste. Unless of course you want amano shrimp because you like them, they can be quite entertaining... they're very greedy creatures :lol: mine go up to my fish and take pellets away from them.

I originally got my shrimp from proshrimp, but that's only because I wanted yellow cherry shrimp and my LFS didn't have that colour. Most people will have a few different LFS around them, so it might be worth checking if there are other ones in your local area. Alternatively, you could just ask your LFS when their next shipment of [insert creature] is, that way you can come in and get first pickings. Some LFS will order in things specifically for you if you ask them.
I was thinking of adding 1 Amano now. Then fish (probably 5-6 Chili Rasbora or Celestial Pearl Danio) and 1 Nerite snail. And finally a small group of Blue Tiger shrimp and I'm done.

Anyway, I bought the Amano yesterday from an lfs 30 mins away by car. I think it's a family business and all their tanks and livestock were in great condition. I added it to the tank after 3 hours of drip acclimation. Thankfully it didn't turn cloudy during the whole process, which is a good sign, and it's already started munching on the biofilm.

IMG_5467.jpg IMG_5466.jpg

Last edited:
Back