• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does my equipment list look ok?

I got so frustrated with my first attempt I tore it down to make yet another terrarium. I'm back to having another go at this and didn't want to buy everything without making sure it would all work out. I'm determined to get this right!

I'm looking at a 60 x 30 x 30 open top tank.

A twin T8 luminaire. Too much light? Too little?

Eco complete planted substrate.

I'll probably go for one of the plant packages you can get. Something like this but I've seen much cheaper ones.

http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/pr ... ut-package
60cm U-Shape Layout Package | The Green Machine

Either a fert based c02 system or one of the other cheaper systems. One question I have with the fert based, how do I stop it at night, or can I?

One of the smaller Ehein external filters, maybe 2213.

Dosing with Tropica plant nutrition plus.

Does this sound good? Is there anything else I need? I'm on a budget hence the T8 over T5 and the fert based co2.

Hi,
People on budgets have no business spending hard earned cash on eco-complete and TPN+. You may as well use plain gravel or cat litter and buy dry powder fertilizer. 100X cheaper.

There are no "fert based" CO2 systems but there are yeast based CO2 systems. The money you save by not buying TPn and eco-complete can be used to buy gas injected equipment instead, which will give you much better performance and less headaches than DIY CO2.

Cheers,

Sorry I meant yeast based!

Well I already have TPN+ so will use that.

My budget isn't completely restricted, I just don't want to spend the money being asked for the pressurised co2 kits and don't feel confident enough to make my own. Unless I'm looking in all the wrong places, they same to be £200 plus. Eco complete and TPN+ has cost me around £40.

I meant to say thanks for the reply aswell.

I've read through the fire extinguisher co2 system guide about a hundred times. Maybe I should just try it!

It's much cheaper in the long run, Set aside around £100 for the co2 equipment and you'll be set, german reg +solenoid and tubing around £60 drop checker, diffuser (inline atomizer prefered) around £20, another £20 for co2 fe. It's much cheaper than people think.

Garuf said:
It's much cheaper in the long run, Set aside around £100 for the co2 equipment and you'll be set, german reg +solenoid and tubing around £60 drop checker, diffuser (inline atomizer prefered) around £20, another £20 for co2 fe. It's much cheaper than people think.

Yeah I think I will. The more I read about yeast based co2 the more I'm put off.

Thanks.

Back