• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does the amount of liquid affect Drop Checker results?

I would think that the more solution you had the longer it would take to reach equilibrium because of the extra CO2 that would have to be gained or lost. Also if the solution is kept in a ball type drop checker and you fill it to the top then the surafce area is going to be greatly reduced and could make it take longer to change colour.

I like to fill mine about 2/3 full so having plenty of surface area and also providing a good quantity to see the colour properly. Add 3 drops indicator as well.

James

Going along with what James says I always half fill the bulb on my DC so that it has the greatest surface area in the bulb. In my JBL Permanent CO2 kit I fill it, per instructions, to the top of the air gap (4ml I think).

As to the indicator solution; within reason, you can just add enough drops to get a strong enough colour to read.

I use a plastic pipette. You can push the end into the bulb. Otherwise simply trickle the water on the side of the neck so it runs into the bulb while letting the air out. With a bit of tilting the water goes in fine.

Back