• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Does this all sound reasonable? Any equipment imbalances?

paul.in.kendal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
410
Location
Kendal, Cumbria
Thanks for that, guys.

It looks like it needs to be either an expensive Cal Aqua inline diffuser or an Ed Seeley special, with twin spraybars stacked centrally in the tank. Then if the arty-farty side of my brain wins the internal argument with the techie side, I can experiment with lily pipes at a later stage.

SO nice to know others have thought these issues through in such detail, and come up with such clever solutions! :)

I'll be back with more questions shortly, doubtless...
 

Tony Swinney

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2008
Messages
1,187
Location
Cobham, Surrey
paul.in.kendal said:
OK, the order's in, deposit paid...

Excellent Paul :D And now the wait begins....

Have you seen the Vortech powerheads ? They arent cheap at £250+ , but give masses of flow, and no cables going in to the tank - they work by magnetics through the tank so all you need to do is hide the head behind something:

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co...40w-3000-propeller-pump-powerhead-p-2291.html

However, they only direct flow perpendicularly to the tank wall they're sitting on which may be a little limiting.

Tony
 

nry

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2007
Messages
1,227
Location
Cumbria, UK
dsandson said:
paul.in.kendal said:
Then if I go for two spraybars instead (one from each filter), is it OK that one would be delivering CO2 and the other heated water - would there be adequate in-tank mixing? So many questions! :(

Dont want to confuse you, but here's another suggestion for the co2... a cheap chinese inline diffusor, here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&item=110392438841. It seems they're quite effective. You might be able to fit one to each filter with a y-connector, and use only one reg. Apparently they work best on the filter outflows.

Or if you want a reactor... I havent seen any that are good but dont reduce flow, except for Ed Seeleys DIY design, if you were willing to make one.

Hope that helps. You're doing you research well, I'm sure that forthcoming journal of yours will be brilliant! :D

I am impressed with the eBay diffuser in that link myself, it hasn't affected flow rate that I can see, and I get a lovely fine mist spread right around the aquarium from mine. Cannot fault it for £5!
 

paul.in.kendal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
410
Location
Kendal, Cumbria
Thanks for the suggestions, chaps, but both those are out for now - I've gone for the big Eheims (a 2080 and a 2180), so the Vortech (which seems a lot for no extra filtration) should be unnecessary, and I'm sticking with the 1000 Reactor.

As you say, the wait begins...
 

andyh

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,921
Location
Derby
paul.in.kendal said:
After George’s excellent presentation at TGM at the weekend, my missus caught me feverishly doing planting and hardscape diagrams last night, and said “The sooner you get this tank the better”!

So I think I’ve finally run out of excuses for delaying buying my very first aquarium and hardware. Here’s the suggested spec:

Tank: 100x45x55tall (cms) Aquariums Ltd all opti-white, rimless, braceless, plus cabinet
Lighting: Arcadia OT2 - T5 Luminaire 4 x 39W 40", 2x Grasslin timers
Filtration/heating: 1x Eheim 2028 Professional II, 1x Eheim 2128 Professional II Thermo (both with media)
Inlets/Outlets: Cal Aqua lily pipes x2
Co2: Aqua Medic Pressure Regulator, Reactor 1000, bubble counter (with integrated non-return valve) and M-Ventil Standard solenoid, 2kg bottle, Cal Aqua double drop checker (just for fun, and because I’m colour blind), Grasslin Timer

Plus nets, water-change kit, TGM scissors and tweezers, a paint brush(!) and so on.

Fertilizing hardware: Start with TPN+, then change to auto-dosing using an Aqua Medic SP3000 dosing pump at a later stage.

Plus an Ebac 6200 room dehumidifier!

Does this all sound reasonable? Any equipment imbalances or alternative suggestions?


With ref to the Dehumudifier make sure it has some sort of stat on it This is similar to a thermostat, a humidistat indicates the relative humidity and allows you to adjust it to the desired level. That way once its done its job it aint going to over do it!

Also dont be tempted to use the water in your tank, it will be toxic.
 

paul.in.kendal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
410
Location
Kendal, Cumbria
andyh said:
With ref to the Dehumudifier make sure it has some sort of stat on it This is similar to a thermostat, a humidistat indicates the relative humidity and allows you to adjust it to the desired level. That way once its done its job it aint going to over do it!

Also dont be tempted to use the water in your tank, it will be toxic.
Thanks for the advice, Andy. Have you used a dehumidifier yourself in a room with an aquarium? To be honest, I'm going to hold back from getting the dehumidifier until I'm absolutely sure I need it.
Tonser said:
I'm pleased its finally imminent - nice size you've gone for too ;) :D Hope it gets delivered and setup safely, and look forward to seeing the journal :D

Tony
After all your trials and tribulations, Tony, I'm almost expecting it to turn up damaged - that way there's no chance of disappointment :lol: And as for the size, this will probably be the only similarity between our set-ups - apart perhaps from the fact they'll both be filled with water 8) Your creation is truly mind-blowing, and as for the photography... I'm just amazed at the huge leaps being made in this hobby month-by-month - I have to keep going back over journals to remind myself that other people are making big personal improvements, so if I get off to a rocky start it doesn't mean all is lost.

Next step is clearing space for the cabinet, and getting a camera tripod...
 
Joined
21 Feb 2009
Messages
333
Location
stroud, glos
hi,

i've kinda recently been through the whole "noob" set up thing!
i didn't quite cover all my bases in the way i think you have tho, i needed to upgrade and reconfigure a few times before hopefully getting nearer to the mark!

while we all love to see what the experts achieve, i find its generally more interesting to see how the less experienced ppl progress and grow! (altho in my case that does seem like a fairly slow progression!! :crazy: )

good luck with it all and i'm looking forward to the journal!
 

paul.in.kendal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
410
Location
Kendal, Cumbria
baron von bubba said:
hi,

i've kinda recently been through the whole "noob" set up thing!
i didn't quite cover all my bases in the way i think you have tho, i needed to upgrade and reconfigure a few times before hopefully getting nearer to the mark!

while we all love to see what the experts achieve, i find its generally more interesting to see how the less experienced ppl progress and grow! (altho in my case that does seem like a fairly slow progression!! :crazy: )

good luck with it all and i'm looking forward to the journal!
Thanks, Baron. To be honest, it feels like I've seriously 'over-read' the subject, without (yet) putting any of it into practice. I'm just hoping the mass of info I've semi-absorbed settles down and I start to see things more clearly as I progress. The scariest bit is that, as I keep saying, I've never kept so much as a goldfish before - nothing :wideyed:

It's incredibly reassuring that there's such a wealth of info and advice available via this Forum :thumbup:
 
Joined
21 Feb 2009
Messages
333
Location
stroud, glos
paul.in.kendal said:
To be honest, it feels like I've seriously 'over-read' the subject, without (yet) putting any of it into practice. I'm just hoping the mass of info I've semi-absorbed settles down and I start to see things more clearly as I progress. The scariest bit is that, as I keep saying, I've never kept so much as a goldfish before - nothing :wideyed:

It's incredibly reassuring that there's such a wealth of info and advice available via this Forum :thumbup:

an once of practice is worth a ton of theory as they say!
seems like you've certainly done a couple of tons of theory!! :lol:

3 or so months in for me and i'm still reading and learning for hours everyday!!!

as you say tho, this forum is pure gold. any problems you don't foresee will be soon be overcome with the help of UKAPS! :thumbup:
 

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
Joined
30 Jun 2007
Messages
7,080
Location
Cambridgeshire
Exciting times, Paul!

All the best it. You've certainly done your research - more than I ever did, so I'm sure you'll be fine!

Of course, we're all on hand with any further advice you may need.

Do you have a layout planned yet? For me that's the best part, and with your landscaping background I'm expecting something pretty cool. No pressure mate!
 

paul.in.kendal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
410
Location
Kendal, Cumbria
George Farmer said:
Exciting times, Paul!

All the best it. You've certainly done your research - more than I ever did, so I'm sure you'll be fine!

Of course, we're all on hand with any further advice you may need.

Do you have a layout planned yet? For me that's the best part, and with your landscaping background I'm expecting something pretty cool. No pressure mate!
Ah, I dread the words "No pressure mate", cos I know EXACTLY what you mean :lol:

I'd agree that with any sort of gardening, planning is the best bit, and yes, I've got a couple of layouts and planting plans in mind - both dependent on suitable hardscape, so we'll see what a visit to TGM comes up with.

So far the easiest bit has been coming up with aquascape names! I've now got enough names for several year's worth of scapes! :geek:
 

paul.in.kendal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
410
Location
Kendal, Cumbria
Aargh! Waiting in this morning for the tank, pottering in the garden to pass the time. Come in to check no-one's waiting in a van out front to find a note on the doormat - they'd been and gone :woot:

Still, I was planning a trip to TGM tomorrow to pick up lots of other goodies, so I'll be picking the tank and cabinet up on my way down. But what a bummer :crazy:
 

paul.in.kendal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
410
Location
Kendal, Cumbria
Woop! Woop! I gottan aquarium! Can't post a picture, though. I'm using a Picasa Web album, but the HTML for 'embed image' is several lines long. I've tried pasting this, highlighting it and hitting 'Img', but it won't play ball. Any ideas?
 

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
Joined
30 Jun 2007
Messages
7,080
Location
Cambridgeshire
paul.in.kendal said:
Woop! Woop! I gottan aquarium! Can't post a picture, though. I'm using a Picasa Web album, but the HTML for 'embed image' is several lines long. I've tried pasting this, highlighting it and hitting 'Img', but it won't play ball. Any ideas?
Exciting times!

To host images create a Photobucket account, or use Image Shack where you don't need an account.

Simply copy and paste the URL into your posts.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing this.
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Furgan Sound proof cabinet Hardware & DIY 5

Similar threads

Top